Yeti never to be bettered

sixer

Guest FurryFriend

God that is one ugly piece of badly shaped metal. 

I live about 4 miles from the Nissan  factory and we see more SQuashcats round here than anything else. This thing will just blend in to the overall boring landscape. 

On a brighter  note. We took our dog for a walk last night, and on return to our car, a couple were absolutely drooling over our YETI. They reckon it's the perfect family car.  When I told them it's been discontinued, they were quite literally incredulous. Really couldn't understand it at all. 

Like the OP said. 

"YETI, never to be bettered"

Seating wise yes, but the boot's too small for family use. When picking my son and his cousin up from the airport I couldn't get their suitcases in lengthwise and had to remove one of the seats, unlike with my brother's Sportage where they just fitted.

It works for us because most of the time it's just myself and my wife and so enough room for holidays and I can fold/remove the rear seats when extra space is required.

When the lads were growing up I had large estate cars, mostly Passats, now they were the ideal family cars.

But like a number of Yeti owners I wanted something less long but still with plenty of seating area for which the Yeti is ideal.

It sounds as though the boot on the Karoq is bigger so it will be a contender for me.

2 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Seating wise yes, but the boot's too small for family use. When picking my son and his cousin up from the airport I couldn't get their suitcases in lengthwise and had to remove one of the seats, unlike with my brother's Sportage where they just fitted.

It works for us because most of the time it's just myself and my wife and so enough room for holidays and I can fold/remove the rear seats when extra space is required.

When the lads were growing up I had large estate cars, mostly Passats, now they were the ideal family cars.

But like a number of Yeti owners I wanted something less long but still with plenty of seating area for which the Yeti is ideal.

It sounds as though the boot on the Karoq is bigger so it will be a contender for me.

The boot is bigger because the Karoq is significantly bigger than the Yeti! Both longer and wider. You trade the space efficiency of the Yeti for a much bigger car.

Guest FurryFriend

Mmm. I have just returned from a trip to see my Daughter in Devon. We had to go to Alcester, Taunton, Bridport, Exeter and Gloucester whilst away. 

4 cabin size suitcases, a large SWMBO type travel bag, a 32" TV, 2 bags of lighting equipment and tools and coats and shoes all went in without a murmur. 

I can see that a family might struggle a bit, but c'mon there's always the roof :biggrin:

We too always chose big Volvo estates. The 940 GLE  model was our firm favourite of the 4 we had. Big solid tanks that would pull a family, luggage, and a 6 berth touring caravan without a murmur. 

Sadly Volvo turned it's back on estates and brought in the XC series. That's when we stopped buying Volvos. 

Our Son in law has an XC 90, and for what he paid for it it's scandalous the amount of time it has spent back at the dealership with endless problems. 

But horses for courses. 

29 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

Sadly Volvo turned it's back on estates and brought in the XC series. That's when we stopped buying Volvos.

Surprised, not sure Volvo ever turned its back on the estate ..... from the 1980's to present day .... 240/260 series, 740/760 series, 940/960 series, 850, V40/50/60/70/90 that's lots of estates from Volvo, and that before you start on the XC series. :)

Guest FurryFriend

I know that. I've owned a 240GLE ,  a 740 GLE, and 2 x 940's, all estates, and all from new. Tough as old boots all of them.

We did consider the V70 but the build quality of the showroom model was abysmal,  and the later Volvos are very plasticky  and not even  built in Sweden any more,  (China). 

Just no appeal any more. So Volvo lost our business. 

Bottom line is "The Customer". And as one of those, I read reviews, talk to owners, and choose  and spend my cash accordingly. 

There's no prospect of me even being remotely interested in The Kroc! 

Edited by FurryFriend

4 hours ago, Expatman said:

The boot is bigger because the Karoq is significantly bigger than the Yeti! Both longer and wider. You trade the space efficiency of the Yeti for a much bigger car.

I thought the gained internal space was due to the MQB platform? 

2 hours ago, gadgetman said:

I thought the gained internal space was due to the MQB platform? 

The MQB platform is the basic chassis for VAG. The Karoq is a bigger car sitting on that chassis. MQB will be used as basis for everything from Passat to Polo in different forms.

4 hours ago, Wardy said:

Yes. The point being that space has been gained from moving from PQ35 to MQB, i.e. Yeti to Karoq.

Exactly, Karoq has longer and wider body than Yeti hence more boot space. Personally I didn't want a bigger car than the Yeti so hence have a new 1.2 DSG SE L with my choice of extras.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 08:51, FurryFriend said:

God that is one ugly piece of badly shaped metal.

I dunno, I've seen a lot worse:

Ssangyong~Rodius~61~reg~R34.jpg

I note from that re-hashed press release linked earlier that the Karoq* does have varioflex seats.  If that's the case then I'm glad that Skoda haven't given up on that really useful feature.

Not that it would be enough on its own to persuade me to buy a lightly remodelled SEAT.  I'm always suspicious about SEAT: they seem to go in for the kind of pointless 'bling' which adds nothing to a car's usefulness, but must presumably appeal to a certain group of customers.  A bit like Vauxhall, except (it is to be hoped) with VAG reliability.  Like Vauxhall, SEAT seems to appeal to drivers of a certain mindset as well: the same sense of entitlement and lack of regard for other road users that is in evidence with some drivers of one or another of the 'prestige' German marques, but having only spent enough on the car to justify an apparent belief that they own half the road rather than all of it.

And now, having very probably royally ticked off a fair few of our readers, I shall withdraw to a safe distance...

* Karoq as in Karoq of gold, like you find at the end of the rainbow?  Or a Karoq of something much smellier and unpleasant?

• Like 2

Just a quicky on VOLVOS. 

Built in Sweden, Belgium, India, China & the USA.

Global cars with some of the best interiors at the price and with functions like heaters and demisters and handling that suits the UK perfectly unlike many European Owned Manufacturers vehicles that have right hand drive cars as some sort of must build but do not bother about the ergonomics.

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Just a quicky on VOLVOS. 

Built in Sweden, Belgium, India, China & the USA.

Global cars with some of the best interiors at the price and with functions like heaters and demisters and handling that suits the UK perfectly unlike many European Owned Manufacturers vehicles that have right hand drive cars as some sort of must build but do not bother about the ergonomics.

......like indicator stalk on the correct side .........?

and the Brexit voters will demand it of course!

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 09:44, Expatman said:

I wouldn't say it's a much bigger car, it's only 160mm longer and is therefore still much shorter than the estate cars I've owned and other larger SUV's so I'd be happy with that for a bigger boot. Ok, it doesn't have the vertical rear but most folks don't load their boots that high anyway. Yes, I know some of the folks on here do with pallets etc!

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 09:54, FurryFriend said:

Mmm. I have just returned from a trip to see my Daughter in Devon. We had to go to Alcester, Taunton, Bridport, Exeter and Gloucester whilst away. 

4 cabin size suitcases, a large SWMBO type travel bag, a 32" TV, 2 bags of lighting equipment and tools and coats and shoes all went in without a murmur. 

I can see that a family might struggle a bit, but c'mon there's always the roof :biggrin:

We too always chose big Volvo estates. The 940 GLE  model was our firm favourite of the 4 we had. Big solid tanks that would pull a family, luggage, and a 6 berth touring caravan without a murmur. 

Our Son in law has an XC 90, and for what he paid for it it's scandalous the amount of time it has spent back at the dealership with endless problems. 

But horses for courses. 

That's good going but is that with the rear seats in place? They'd need to be if it being used as a family car i.e. with 4/5 seats being occupied which is what I'm referring to.

Guest FurryFriend

Yes, it all went in the back. The seats haven't been out since new. We put the rear headrests up, and the TV which we were passing on to my daughter went at the back of the boot and the rest went in easily. We did leave the parcel shelf at home, so that gave us the extra height space. We actually didn't use the rear seats at all, because we have a dog cage in there for our pooch. 

Great car, and confirms that our homework in choosing it, and the reasons for that  choice were spot on. 

24 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

I wouldn't say it's a much bigger car, it's only 160mm longer and is therefore still much shorter than the estate cars I've owned and other larger SUV's so I'd be happy with that for a bigger boot. Ok, it doesn't have the vertical rear but most folks don't load their boots that high anyway. Yes, I know some of the folks on here do with pallets etc!

I would suggest that 160mm longer (6 inches) and 50mm wider (2") is a significant increase in size. It all depends on what you want of course but on the basis of it's only a bit bigger then why not go for the Kodiak? That's only 300mm longer than the Karoq and you get so much more space?

5 hours ago, Expatman said:

I would suggest that 160mm longer (6 inches) and 50mm wider (2") is a significant increase in size. It all depends on what you want of course but on the basis of it's only a bit bigger then why not go for the Kodiak? That's only 300mm longer than the Karoq and you get so much more space?

Come on, with a car that most of us consider to be compact in length another 160mm doesn't make that much difference. It is a pity about the increased width though but 50mm isn't that bad on what is quite a narrow car in today's terms.

Unlike the Kodiaq which is 99mm wider which is considerable. Why are you saying the Kodiaq is "only" 300mm longer than the Karoq when it's the increase in size over the Yeti is what is important? At 476mm that is significant! The Ateca would have been a better suggestion.  

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the Karoq is like in the metal and whether it is as space efficient as the Yeti and still a reasonable size.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Come on, with a car that most of us consider to be compact in length another 160mm doesn't make that much difference. It is a pity about the increased width though but 50mm isn't that bad on what is quite a narrow car in today's terms.

Unlike the Kodiaq which is 99mm wider which is considerable. Why are you saying the Kodiaq is "only" 300mm longer than the Karoq when it's the increase in size over the Yeti is what is important? At 476mm that is significant! The Ateca would have been a better suggestion.  

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the Karoq is like in the metal and whether it is as space efficient as the Yeti and still a reasonable size.

We know that the Karoq is 160mm (6 inches) longer than the Yeti. The point I was trying to make was that many of us liked the Yeti because of it's compact external dimensions coupled with internal space efficiency. We all have had the opportunity to get a larger crossover but the Yeti was unique in its concept. Now it's replacement is basically the same as the Ateca and many other similar vehicles.

• Like 1

Unique is the right word once the yeti gone there will never be a car / MPV like it and a classic it will be me thinks keeping mine until the DERV hater's chase me out of town.:unsure: