Doors keep locking

After chaning the engine in the vRS my doors now keep locking - unlock them and wait a bit they will all lock on their own.

Has removng the battery etc reverted it to a setting where this auto lock happens? If so how do I change it? I can see myself locking the key inside.....

It is normally if you unlock the car by the remote but do not physically open a door or the boot, after 30 seconds it auto-relocks.

Not normally anything to do with moving it or driving.

Edited by Defenderben

1 hour ago, KitsonRis said:

only when the car is opened and not moved. 

There is a fault somewhere then.......

But it is good practice not to leave your keys in the car, ever. However this may be impractical.

Do you have a spare to keep on your person just in case?

If you do have, I would check exactly when it locks itself and if it locks itself with ignition on, and then with engine running (but without moving.

May need a scan or auto locksmith.........

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:04, KitsonRis said:

only when the car is opened and not moved. 

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 14:10, KitsonRis said:

Hmmm more investigation is needed then. 

Do have a spare set of keys. I never leave keys in the car anyway but more worried if someone else does without knowing. 

Unless, by "opened", you meant unlocked (without opening), then Defenderben explained that is normal, and it will be explained in the manual.

But then you wouldn't be able to lock your keys in anyway - without opening the door..............

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I had a poke about and I now have figure out when the doors lock. 

If if you unlock the car and do not put the keys in the ignition and start it/turn it on then the doors will re-lock after 30seconds. You can open and shut a door after unlocking and they will lock. I was locked inside the car this morning as I didn't start it and the doors locked but the door lock button on the drivers door wouldn't work and if you pulled the door handle to unlock the doors when you released the handle the lock didn't stay unlocked and the little pin shot back into the door (more of a mechanical thing that is and not electronic). Luckily I had the keys on me and could remotely unlock the car. 

I remember in the Mk1 Clio's you could change the auto unlock thing by holding down the door lock button behind the gear stick. Tried this on the Skoda and it doesn't do anything. 

Sounds like a door micro switch issue to me and coincidental to the engine change.

So you unlock, open driver's door, sit in, pull the door to and without putting key in ignition,  it locks again, probably 30 s later?

If you unlock and open any of the other doors, including boot, then close, either with you in or not, does it do the same or is the issue purely associated with the driver's door?

I suspect it's just the driver's door and your cheapest fix would be a replacement door lock second hand off ebay.

Do though check the usual when investigating dodgy door locking behaviour,  there are plenty of threads around these parts.  Do a check on things like does fuel pump whizz into action whn you first open the drivers door after car has been unused for a few hours?  Does the lights on buzzer work with driver's door open, lights on and no key in the ignition?   Do you get the red door open symbol on the dashboard when you systematically check each door in turn?

Good luck! 

• Like 2

If it's not engine change related I would be happy! I want to forget that saga. 

Sure it's just the drivers door come to think of it. 

Ahhh the lights warning beep has stopped thinking of it when the lights are on with the door open. I will check/replace the door micro switch. 

Have tried a search watch on here but I wasn't looking at the micro switch term. Will do that later when I am at home.