Patches of what looks like respray / fingerprints on bootlid

WillM82

I noticed this when I first got the car a few months ago, I thought maybe it was a greasy mechanic's hand, a quick polish with the colour magic and it seemed to go away, but yesterday I shampooed it and today in the sunshine I can see it is back.

Basically, the top of the C pillar, there is a patch that almost looks like a bad respray that has ran.

Also there are fingerprints on the bootlid, look similar.

(I have read elsewhere that fingerprints can be caused by suncream etc.)

I'll try and get pictures, if I can capture the light correctly with my camera phone.

Would there be any tips for remedying, or at least blending these defects?

I've read that Autoglym Super Resin does a good job. I'm loath to use T Cut.

Despite being cleaned yesterday the car is dirty and sand dust covered again.

But you can see the bad patch on the pillar, and the fingerprints

First pic looks like a flatting mark - someone previously may have attacked that area with some wetsanding action to remove bird lime etching or similar.

Bootlid does indeed look like suncream defects but these would usually be a creamy white colour rather than greasy marks.

Both can be rectified with some localised machine polishing - would probably take all of 20mins.

Please don't use t-cut it is one of the most abrasive polishes available to everyone on the high street - you'll make both area's far worse.

Super Resin is ever so slightly abrasive but contains a ton of fillers so should be viewed as a paint cleanser rather than an abrasive polish - this make temporarily fill/mask these defects but they'll reappear after a couple of washes and in doing so washing away the fillers.

cheers

Chris

Those finger prints look like oils either from children's fingers or moisturisers. 

I come across them all the time, normal locations are as on yours, the top of the doors, B pillars, bootlids and rear wings. Trick is to use a polish and keep going. Use the polish till the cloudy marks have gone, and then continue for a few more wipes. If you don't, it'll look like it's gone for about a week or so. It's annoying but other than constantly telling children to only use the door handles and telling the other half to use the door handles because her favourite hand moisturiser is leaving marks and the ensuing argument isn't worth the hassle. 

Treat the car to a good wax or sealant to act as a sacrificial layer. 

14 hours ago, Chris_VRS said:

First pic looks like a flatting mark - someone previously may have attacked that area with some wetsanding action to remove bird lime etching or similar.

Bootlid does indeed look like suncream defects but these would usually be a creamy white colour rather than greasy marks.

Both can be rectified with some localised machine polishing - would probably take all of 20mins.

Please don't use t-cut it is one of the most abrasive polishes available to everyone on the high street - you'll make both area's far worse.

Super Resin is ever so slightly abrasive but contains a ton of fillers so should be viewed as a paint cleanser rather than an abrasive polish - this make temporarily fill/mask these defects but they'll reappear after a couple of washes and in doing so washing away the fillers.

cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris.

The C pillar from the first pic, it isn't really visible from the pic, but it looks like whatever it was has run, like a liquid. Perhaps as you say someone has wet sanded.

We have a section on the wing of my wife's Leon where bird dung was left too long then scrubbed off that has left it matt, it too needs a good rectification.

Could the bootlid fingerprints be oil, as in the car being worked on before I picked it up?

Have been warned off T-Cut as it seems to be harshly abrasive on paint on modern European cars. I've had the bottle for years but might consign it to a "do not touch" / "Japanese car paint only" section of the garage :)

Don't have a machine polisher, might phone round some bodyshops.

Did get rid of them temporarily after a quick wash with a tiny amount of super resin, polish, then wax. But as you say, like last time I got rid of them, they'll be back.

10 hours ago, Svend said:

Those finger prints look like oils either from children's fingers or moisturisers. 

I come across them all the time, normal locations are as on yours, the top of the doors, B pillars, bootlids and rear wings. Trick is to use a polish and keep going. Use the polish till the cloudy marks have gone, and then continue for a few more wipes. If you don't, it'll look like it's gone for about a week or so. It's annoying but other than constantly telling children to only use the door handles and telling the other half to use the door handles because her favourite hand moisturiser is leaving marks and the ensuing argument isn't worth the hassle. 

Treat the car to a good wax or sealant to act as a sacrificial layer. 

Thanks Svend.

Gave the area a quick resin, then the car a polish - paying special attention to these areas, and a wax. No longer visible, though as above it may be temporary again. As it wasn't a machine polish I'll keep an eye until they reappear.

I think the fingerprints were there from when I got the car, not sure if oil from when they serviced it before I picked it up, I asked the dealer and was just told a good wash will get it out.

I'm just glad that they aren't "full respray" defects, the C pillar stain reminded me of the time I tried to patch up the paintwork on a Peugeot and it didn't go well.... :(

24 minutes ago, WillM82 said:

Thanks Svend.

Gave the area a quick resin, then the car a polish - paying special attention to these areas, and a wax. No longer visible, though as above it may be temporary again. As it wasn't a machine polish I'll keep an eye until they reappear.

I think the fingerprints were there from when I got the car, not sure if oil from when they serviced it before I picked it up, I asked the dealer and was just told a good wash will get it out.

I'm just glad that they aren't "full respray" defects, the C pillar stain reminded me of the time I tried to patch up the paintwork on a Peugeot and it didn't go well.... :(

I get these often and a machine polish isn't necessary at all. I've used Gtechniq P1 polish on a tri-foam pad for years. 

A couple of pea sided amounts of P1, rub into area in straight lines for about ten passes, then side to side for a same, then back and forward again, then wipe off the polish and job done. 

Here's my colleagues car last week. 

Silver 61 plate VW Polo. 

IMG_20170426_121127_zpsxvlrhgut.jpg

a minute later. 

IMG_20170426_121453_zps7oudbfyn.jpg

Finished article. 

IMG_20170426_134936_zpsbrjd54ef.jpg

If you want me to send you a little Gtechniq P1 polish (gratis of course), PM an address to send it to and I'll try and get it sent as soon as possible. It needn't be your home address, just a place you can get it safely. 

• Like 1

Thanks Svend, that's very kind of you. The polo there looks great. What was the issue - hand prints from oil? Old bird doo?

I do like to keep the car clean and free from blemishes, but I no longer have the time to regularly fully detail it, a weekly-fortnightly wash and polish if I'm lucky now :(

I need to look at the other half's Leon next, the matt part of the wing and some scratches that annoy me (but not her) on the rear door. I think I covered them with colour magic temporarily but they need a proper touch up pen.

It was child hands prints. Childrens hands have natural oils in that as they grow older dry up, the same marks are repeated when using moisturisers. 

If you want something quicker and easier. Have a look at Gyeon Bathe+ and Gyeon Cure, both contain Si02 silicon to protect the surface so by using the Gyeon Bathe+ to wash, your washing and sealing at the same time, dried off with a couple of squirts per panel of Gyeon Cure will remove any spots, dry the car and leave a slick glossy surface. The Polo from start to finish from decon (scrubbing the wheels, they were caked in two years of brake dust), full interior clean (vacuum, shampoo seat bases, bio wipe down of all interior surfaces and glass), degreasing of the exterior, snow foam, shampoo and dry in four hours. 

It only takes 40 minutes to an hour now to clean and protect a car. 

I only polish when there is something to polish (ie etched bird bomb, scratch or scuff). 

Polish to make shiny, wax or sealant to protect the shine. 

• Like 1