Petrol Filling Problem

Hi.  I tried filling with fuel today but after only a few litres the fuel pump clicked and stopped pumping (which it normally does when the tank is full).  I tried pumping the fuel more slowly but again it clicked off after a few seconds and wouldn't let me fill the tank.  It's not the angle I'm holding the pump etc as I've filled the car hundreds of times previously without any issue.  I tried another pump, but had the same problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Second question, after taking the fuel cap off is there normally another cover/flap that pushes inwards when you insert the pump nozzle?  I only ask as I don't appear to have one (I've never looked before) and I'm thinking maybe this has come off and caused a blockage?  Not sure.  Thanks you!

Edited by BlackMesaUK

1 hour ago, BlackMesaUK said:

Second question, after taking the fuel cap off is there normally another cover/flap that pushes inwards when you insert the pump nozzle?  I only ask as I don't appear to have one (I've never looked before) and I'm thinking maybe this has come off and caused a blockage?  Not sure.  Thanks you!

I've checked on my petrol Superb II (facelift 2014) :-

• When you remove the petrol cap you see a plastic assembly with a hole in the centre (correct diamater for a petrol filling nozzle) and plastic "spokes" radiating out. Clearly designed to resist inserting a larger diesel nozzle
  • Further in you can see what looks like a white pipe - can't visibly see a cover/flap though (might be one further in)

The only time I had trouble filling was with a dodgy oversensitive petrol pump

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Hello this is a Superb thing.....a little bit of practice and you will find the sweet spot, usually the nozzle needs to be pushed in about 50mm then tilted to the side, mines a diesel so froths if you don't get it right. Practice makes perfect, I've just mastered it and I have had my Superb 6 months!!!

5 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I've checked on my petrol Superb II (facelift 2014) :-

• When you remove the petrol cap you see a plastic assembly with a hole in the centre (correct diamater for a petrol filling nozzle) and plastic "spokes" radiating out. Clearly designed to resist inserting a larger diesel nozzle
  • Further in you can see what looks like a white pipe - can't visibly see a cover/flap though (might be one further in)

The only time I had trouble filling was with a dodgy oversensitive petrol pump

Thanks for checking bigjohn!

3 hours ago, roynhayley said:

Hello this is a Superb thing.....a little bit of practice and you will find the sweet spot, usually the nozzle needs to be pushed in about 50mm then tilted to the side, mines a diesel so froths if you don't get it right. Practice makes perfect, I've just mastered it and I have had my Superb 6 months!!!

Cheers.  I've had it almost 6 years, and this is the first time I've had this issue.