Help replacing the passenger side dash air vent

I finally managed to source a passenger (right) side air vent for my Octy so I can replace the existing one which has most of the flaps broken... However, I am not able to remove the old one... 

I have read about it here and there and tried to study the new part and see how I could pry the old one out but it just won't come out... I am afraid of scratching the dash or even braking the old one in a way that will prevent me  from ever pulling it out

I have also tried removing the dash side panels but it won't help as there is still no way you can push it from behind.

Has anyone ever done this before or has some tips on how to do it? :(

Yes, I have seen this but it doesnt help that much... I have plastic interior prying tools and I just can't get it off. The new part came without tge metal clips and I have no idea how they are located inside... Tried so many angles and positions I ran out of ideas...:(

An old store card should help. Stick the card where you know the clips are and pull out. Should work fine. I did this in my old Fabia as I replaced one when the original owner broke a couple. 

Havent tried a card but I tried multiple prying tools at once to pry it off to sides at a time it just won't budge..

I am a little skeptical a card could do this

The metal clips aren't too close to the surface and they need pushing in for it to come straight out. If you look at the new one, you will see what I mean and where to locate the card(s). Also you will do no harm to the car, but might make a mess of the cards edges slightly so use an old one you aren't too fussed about. Trust me there is no chance you will damage the car, but the vent is crap anyway if you were to

Hmm - ok. Still, my plastic prying tools are similar to that and they are shaped so that you can easily pry stuff out. I guess I will give it another shot with the plastic card as soon as I have the time.

• 1 month later...

I have finally managed to swap it out the other day... What a PITA....

Ron, tbh, I can't see how that tool would have helped now that I have seen how its fitted... I used 2 prying tools and my national ID which is almost twice as big as a credit card. The idea is to place whatever tool you have in between the metal clips and the dash so that the vent can slide out... Ideally all 4 at once but that's almost impossible so do the bottom 2 first and the top 2 last. Be very careful not to drop the metal clips down in the dash as you will have to dismantle more plastic parts to get to them.... I dropped 2, one almost fell somewhere behind the blower motor and one went almost under the passenger side carpet...

If I have the time I will try to post something with pics or drawings using the old part as I did not take pictures of the actual process... No real useful pics could have been taken anyways due to tight spaces.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for this.  We have just managed to replace mine with the use of four old cards. Piece of cake - much easier than I expected.  One of the clips disappeared, don't know where, one fell into the little drawer thing.  However, it was a pretty easy thing to the.  I had to source the replacement from China, via eBay, so it took a while to arrive, but it was a good price.