Linkage problem, gear box

My husbands skoda octavia has a problem with the gearbox, the gearstick seems very stiff, a mechanic mentioned it could be a problem with linkages rather then fly wheel, just wondering how much this sort of repair costs

So long as the cable adjusters aren't corroded it is just a matter of adjustment which should take less than an hour. 

They're actually plastic on the VAG gearboxes so a simple adjustment is all that's required.

Edited by CWARD

I wouldn't expect it to cost more than £150 including new cables and ends using an independent garage. If it's just adjustment then I would think around £50-60

If you follow the videos it is something you could do yourself. You may actually find it easier to do than your husband with having smaller hands. It's just a matter of locking the gear lever knob and gearbox linkage. Release the plastic adjusters, then locking them again which will take up any slack. You can then get repaid in shoes for your labour and new found skills.

Edited by CWARD

I advise you get somebody that knows what they are doing to sort it out. Otherwise your going to have to pay for the original problem and then the problems you have caused trying to fix it.

Has a mechanic actually looked at it or just made a flippant comment about the linkage, because there are other possibilities such as clutch issues. Generally linkages are problem free and don't go wrong unless something breaks or the gearbox has been off and things have moved about.

22 minutes ago, Lucysmith1984 said:

Ok help we seem to have totally messed up the gears we tried to do the adjustment and 1st gear is now reverse and 2nd won't engage !!!!

You didn't lock the mechanism before adjusting. If you lock it then adjust it will be correct.

• Like 1

It's ok we got it sorted smooth gears now, sounds a bit squeky though on that bit you push down to lock it, under the bonnet I mean,  my husband seems to think needs to be greased, anyway it's a lot better then before, so thanks for helpful advice 

Ok so a bit more advice if possible please.

the linkage adjustment was successful and gears are now smooth, but there's a squeaking every time gear stick is moved which seems to be coming from the locking mechanism inside the car, any ideas ???

thanks

It will be the ball at the bottom of the gear lever under the gaiter that is dried out. Apply some spray grease (not WD40), if you don't have any to hand Vaseline will work too but you'll need little hands to get it in. Apply to the ball and all linkages.

The gear linkages under the bonnet can lightly greased or oiled to make them a bit smoother. If you but too much grease under the bonnet it tends to attract dirt which makes matters worse.

• Like 1

Those new shoes will now be well earned as is the sense of achievement.

If you buying a spray grease then use it on all the door hinges and lock mechanisms, just wipe any old dirty grease away before applying. These little bits of maintenance are often neglected but save hassle later on. 

Spoke to my husband and he said he doesn't think it's that, he said its when you go from neutral to left and right not up and down on the gear stick any other possibilities ??

he mentioned something about a pivot ???? 

The pivot is the ball at the bottom of the stick under the gator. The pics below are from an Audi Allroad but the mechanism is similar.

int70_19_resize.jpg

You need to try and get the grease deep into the ball socket so that lubricates the bushes shown in the pic below which are the two black rings which is where it pivots. The left and right sides may be dry as these are the least used. Continued use may encourage any grease already in the socket to migrate round in time.  

int70_20_resize.jpg

Don't remove any circlips to get the grease into the ball socket whilst it is place as you can guarantee it will spring off never to be found again.

Right ok great I will relay all and see how we get on this evening. Thanks again:)

is that the gear stick as I have a feeling he was thinking it was more inside the bonnet on the transmission part that you push down to lock it when doing the adjustment ????

Well I will see what happens this evening and hope for the best, we are booked in a garage for next week as we are driving to Ireland which is why we gotta get it sorted ASAP.

thanks for the advice.

If the gear selection is smooth and you're not having to force the lever then it will just be a dry socket causing the squeak. This is just an annoyance and wouldn't stop you driving the car. 

Enjoy Ireland.