Have a 2016 TSI 110. Maybe using a little oil, it is halfway between the dipstick marks after 3100 miles (bought at 1500 miles and appeared very close to full). So after a further 1600 miles it may have used a little. Question, handbook says fill up with VW502 what equivalent (if any) is best to use please?

If the Oil in is what was from the factory that is 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life VW504 00 not VW 502 00.

So top up with VW 504 00

That could be Castrol / Quantum but any oil to VW504 00 will do.

The Owners Manual also tells you how much oil it 'May Use' in the first 5,000 km which can be higher than normal.

Was it a Demonstrator and did you dip it at 3,100 miles to check the level and do you dip it hot or cold?

Edited by Awayoffski

Opie Oils are a supporter on here and are very good and knowledgeable to deal with - see this section of the forum:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/350-opie-oils/

And here is their list of 504.00 compatible oils: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-749-vw-50400-engine-oil.aspx

You should also receive some discount for being a Briskoda member.

Thanks for the info guys. I thought the handbook states that if you are on fixed service intervals you should use 502, I may have read that incorrectly I do not have access to the handbook at the moment.

My car is a demonstrator, it had done 1500 miles when I bought it, it has now done 3100 and it was marginally below the full mark when I checked it when I got home after I bought it. I appreciate that the car may use oil when new, that does not concern me particularly I just wondered if I could pick up an equivalent oil as a top up from Halfords. I dipped the level an hour after use at 3100 miles.

I admit I was a little concerned when the salesman stated when I was picking up the car that 600 miles a litre was acceptable...although he assured me that rate of consumption was unlikely.

Your car came with the Oil for Variable Servicing.

If you want to go on Fixed Servicing rather than the Dealership having chosen Fixed Servicing for you you can use VW502 00,

@ the next Service.

But the Dealership will actually probably still put in VW504 00.

So VW 502 00 is for Fixed Servicing. 9,400 miles / 372 days,  but for Variable servicing you must have VW504 00, & that does for Fixed as Well.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

PS.  Salespeople are salespeople not technicians or even very bright sometimes.

Odd because they are selling vehicles maybe 6 days a week until they get found out as a numpty.

Next time you see that Salesperson ask if he / she can show you where the 1 litre / 600 miles comes from,

& not as in the Owners Manual for every VW Group Engine, 3,4,5,6,8,12 Cylinder Diesel or Petrol 

'May use 0.5 litres / 1000 km' (621 miles)

so 1 litre in 1,242 miles, which is still nonsense.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Mine's used about 250ml (I think? I believe the textured bit of the dipstick is 1l, but I'm not certain of this) in 5000 miles, so I've topped up a bit using the VW 504 00 that came free with the car. Like yours mine was at the top of the textured part of the dipstick when new.

Note: obviously don't top up in portions of 0.5l as it suggests in the manual -- that's an easy way to over-fill. Use much smaller portions, let it run down, and re-dip in between.

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbiker said:

Have a 2016 TSI 110. Maybe using a little oil, it is halfway between the dipstick marks after 3100 miles (bought at 1500 miles and appeared very close to full). So after a further 1600 miles it may have used a little. Question, handbook says fill up with VW502 what equivalent (if any) is best to use please?

Also be aware that you must never let the oil level go below 2/3rd's down the 'hatched' area on the dipstick with the engine hot after standing for 8-10 mins. Engine damage can result if you do. It tells you that of course, in the owners manual but folks often miss that bit!

Thank you again. In fact thinking about it it is me that is the numpty. The salesmen said 600 to 0.5 of a litre not 1 litre. I remember being suprised because I was thinking that was about 500 miles to a pint, in fact it is nearer 700 miles to a pint which is still still quite high.. Sorry being 103(not really) I still think imperial.

Well, I topped up. Car took approx 180ml to fill up, a little under a third of a pint? Did not seem much. Will check it again when I get the car back from SWMBO.

• Like 1

the dipstick in the Mk3 is just awful.. not as easy to use and get an accurate reading than the Mk1..  I don't believe those figures for oil usage above.  I do around 400 miles a week and my oil barely budges at all.. so once again.. take figure which are banded around with a pinch of salt.. I don't go anywhere near topping oil up for months on end.. very rarely in fact.. I'm gone past 37000 and not had to touch it since its last service..

52 minutes ago, skodaTDI said:

the dipstick in the Mk3 is just awful.. not as easy to use and get an accurate reading than the Mk1.. 

At least they've printed the correct figure in the manual this time. Unlike my Citigo...