Job help

Hello all 

Now before you all read the job title and get up in arms, this is connected to bodywork so bare with me. . . It still might be the wrong section though but it's a tricky one to nail on. 

Long story short i'd love to start my own business and am thinking something along the lines of mobile bodywork repair/alloy refurbishment. 

No before you ask i don't have any experience i just have a passion for cars and lifes too short to not do something we don't enjoy. I am bored of the same old 9-5 admin jobs which i couldn't give 2 flying thingys about. 

Back on track. . . 

Basically, is there anyone in the business or has any knowledge that can offer me any pointers? 
Can you recommend me any good courses and where to go for them? Any pitfalls etc? The usual. 

Any help and advice welcome. 

Once again, very sorry if in the wrong section it just seemed the best fit. 

• Like 1

A "real" panel beater serves a three year apprenticeship before becoming a qualified tradesman however I suspect you are not looking to be as fully trained or competent as a qualified tradesman or carry out the types of repair that they can do. If that is the case you can sign up for courses that lasts from a week to three weeks depending on how much you can afford and want to learn and they will teach you the basics of minor panel fixing.

If you do an Internet search you should be able to find a few companies offering the training.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 22:04, Godbomb2908 said:

Hello all 

Now before you all read the job title and get up in arms, this is connected to bodywork so bare with me. . . It still might be the wrong section though but it's a tricky one to nail on. 

Long story short i'd love to start my own business and am thinking something along the lines of mobile bodywork repair/alloy refurbishment. 

No before you ask i don't have any experience i just have a passion for cars and lifes too short to not do something we don't enjoy. I am bored of the same old 9-5 admin jobs which i couldn't give 2 flying thingys about. 

Back on track. . . 

Basically, is there anyone in the business or has any knowledge that can offer me any pointers? 
Can you recommend me any good courses and where to go for them? Any pitfalls etc? The usual. 

Any help and advice welcome. 

Once again, very sorry if in the wrong section it just seemed the best fit. 

Good on you!  Once we realise life's short we start to make a shift in direction and focus on what is REALLY important to us.  I made the move to leave my day job and set up my detailing business, Auto Brilliance. It takes a great deal of courage to make the decision to walk away and make a bold move, so congrats on being able to make that decision.  I don't have the direct experience you require but what I do know is this, now you've made the decision:-

Start - sounds obvious but hesitating on a decision is fatal

Take MASSIVE action every day to develop yourself in EVERY way

Network - find those individuals who can offer specific advice about their experiences, good and not so, about being in business and self employed

Search for the best people in the area of the work you're wanting to pursue - do whatever it takes to find them, contact them and learn from them

You may be going into business alone but you'll never live long enough to learn everything alone - collaborate with others

The more action you take re the above will surprise you how positive people are, how they're willing to give you a go and help you

Stay positive and put good things out into the world and you'll find you'll receive what you put out - don't listen to the nay sayers or the non believers - if you've found something that'll still excite you and make you happy, even when the chips are down, then you've found your purpose.

If you have any specific questions about any of this or setting up a new business I'm more than happy to discuss my personal findings. Drop me a PM pal.

Best wishes

David

• Like 1

On 2017-5-19 at 23:23, Chubbs said:

Good on you!  Once we realise life's short we start to make a shift in direction and focus on what is REALLY important to us.  I made the move to leave my day job and set up my detailing business, Auto Brilliance. It takes a great deal of courage to make the decision to walk away and make a bold move, so congrats on being able to make that decision.  I don't have the direct experience you require but what I do know is this, now you've made the decision:-

Start - sounds obvious but hesitating on a decision is fatal

Take MASSIVE action every day to develop yourself in EVERY way

Network - find those individuals who can offer specific advice about their experiences, good and not so, about being in business and self employed

Search for the best people in the area of the work you're wanting to pursue - do whatever it takes to find them, contact them and learn from them

You may be going into business alone but you'll never live long enough to learn everything alone - collaborate with others

The more action you take re the above will surprise you how positive people are, how they're willing to give you a go and help you

Stay positive and put good things out into the world and you'll find you'll receive what you put out - don't listen to the nay sayers or the non believers - if you've found something that'll still excite you and make you happy, even when the chips are down, then you've found your purpose.

If you have any specific questions about any of this or setting up a new business I'm more than happy to discuss my personal findings. Drop me a PM pal.

Best wishes

David

Thank you for the positive response David, i will certainly stick to that mantra. I've a couple of options to explore thus far but i will drop you a PM as well just to pick your brains a bit further. 

Naturally anyone is still welcome to step in with any advice if they have any! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Godbomb2908 said:

Thank you for the positive response David, i will certainly stick to that mantra. I've a couple of options to explore thus far but i will drop you a PM as well just to pick your brains a bit further. 

Naturally anyone is still welcome to step in with any advice if they have any! 

You're very welcome!

Guest FurryFriend

Just wanna wish you GOOD LUCK mate. :)

NOTHING in life  is unachievable, and there are plenty of success stories. DETERMINATION, GRIT and COURAGE to make it happen is all you need. That, and never settling on giving a customer second best.