DSG judder

Advice please.  I think I'm doing something wrong.

This is how it is.  I come to rest in D.with foot on brake. Put it in N. Put on handbrake.

then move lever to P. Switch off engine.  Release footbrake.

Sometimes not always I get a judder from the transmission as I put it into P.

I've tried moving it in one continuous movement  straight from N to P. I've tried slowly and quite quickly. 

I've tried tiny but obvious pause in R before going to P.  And a 2 second pause in R before going to P.

All the systems I use cause occasional unpredictable judder sometimes.

I have driven and been driven in Non-DSG automatics and they often judder and not just going into P either.

For some reason I thought DSGs did not judder. It is intermittent. It is not likely to throw me out of my seat but it is clearly felt when it happens.

If it is normal that's fine.  My only interest is not causing the judder myself  if it is not normal.

There is never judder going from P straight to D

All views and tips gratefully accepted Thank you.

I've owned all sorts of automatic and DSG gearboxes from different makes.

I've only ever put it from D to P in one motion when I'm about to turn it off. Very rare I'd ever put the car in N

• Like 1

Excellent. Next time it will be --come to stop foot on brake  move lever straight no pause from D to P in one go put on handbrake turn off engine foot off brake.

In other words miss out resting in N.  I'll report back  Many thanks.

Awayoffski makes a good point. Foot must be firmly on the brake to disengage the clutches. It also prevents the engine revs from rising, which if they do, means the clutches are beginning to engage which will cause the symptoms you describe. Glad you are sorted.

• Like 1