Radio & Phone Audio together.

16 plate Rapid SE with Swing.

OK. Is it possible to listen to the radio and get audio alerts from an Android phone at the same time while connected to the front USB port to charge?

I can get Google Maps Navigation to play through speakers if selecting BT connection. But if I play Radio the phone is muted so still see maps on phone but no maps audio output from phone or speakers. Even sound from the phone would be enough.

Don't have FM tuner on any phone, and don't want to waste data allowance when the radio is acceptable.

I can get the radio, sat nav (from phone speaker) and phone (hands free via Bluetooth) to work together if I run a cable from the socket near the handbrake but not from the USB port at the front. But don't really want messy cables tangled around the gearstick.

18 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

Don't have FM tuner on any phone, and don't want to waste data allowance when the radio is acceptable.

I can get the radio, sat nav (from phone speaker) and phone (hands free via Bluetooth) to work together if I run a cable from the socket near the handbrake but not from the USB port at the front. But don't really want messy cables tangled around the gearstick.

Huh, can you say what phone model you've got, because as long as it's not an iPhone, it should be packing an FM receiver (even if it's "inactivated" by the OEM .. for some reason)?

Wife has Samsung Galaxy S8, I have S7. Haven't seen an FM radio on android since my old S4.

Edited by knfruitbat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, knfruitbat said:

Wife has Samsung Galaxy S8, I have S7. Haven't seen an FM radio on android since my old S4.

Rofl, I've got FM on my S7 (and the procedure is the same for the S8), but I'm pretty sure all the Snapdragon-powered Sammies have a "dormant" FM tuner. You might want to give NextRadio a spin ;)

Edit: Just gave a look - the S8's also supposed to be FM-capable.. but only the Snapragon variant, so unless you specifically looked for that model (it's primarily found in NA/US), I doubt your wife's got one... but you never know,lol (I stumbled upon my SM-G930U in a shop here in Dublin :D )

Edited by wolf89

3 hours ago, wolf89 said:

Huh, can you say what phone model you've got, because as long as it's not an iPhone, it should be packing an FM receiver (even if it's "inactivated" by the OEM .. for some reason)?

1 hour ago, knfruitbat said:

While most phones do have FM tuners, expensive phones like the Galaxy S, the iPhone and the Pixel don't and I suspect it's because of aggreements with the carriers to promote streaming services which are not free like the good old FM band.

I have SM-G930G, not the snapdragon processor, and pretty sure the S8 isn't snapdragon either. S4 worked very well but only with earphones to use as an aerial. NextRadio says it is not compatible with any of my devices.

Found "Disable USB audio routing" in Developer options so might try that in the next few days.

Edited by knfruitbat