gearbox problem

Hi been enjoying my 110 6 speed manual Fabia mk3  bought new for about 15 months. Twice recently the gearbox stuck in reverse and needed considerable force to get it in to neutral.

The car goes in for 10,000 mile service in August, was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if a fault has been found  

Best not put off any longer and have the issue logged on the Skoda UK system because of your warranty.

As to waiting for service time when there are issues it it is not just days away that is never a great idea, if you do have issues and are booking a service let the Service Desk Staff know there is a fault / warranty issue needing diagnosed and not just a simple service with them spending a short time with it in the workshop and more time getting a wash and vacuum.

The road test it should get will need done, and also investigation into any issues with the gearbox, linkage adjustment etc.

No point having to make 2 visits or having to leave the car for repairs because they are not given notice.

You might need a courtesy car, or they might need to get parts in, check when making an appointment if there is a TPI on the car, 

expect the Desk Staff to say the Technician will check that out....

(expect the 'They all do that', and be pleasantly surprised if they fix the gearbox.)

• Like 1

It's probably a clutch issue and not the gearbox. The clutch drive plate can stick on it's shaft causing it to 'kiss' the flywheel (not fully disengaging) so making it difficult to get it out of gear. It can be a temperature related issue and may only happen in really hot weather with the engine quite hot. If it's only happened twice it will either get worse of not happen again. Do take Awayoffski's advice though and report it early so it's logged. 

Funnily enough, often it doesn't untill it starts to become much worse. Even then you may not notice it for ages. This is because when on the move all the gears, syndro mesh, shafts,  etc are turning in unison and mild disc 'stiction'  doesn't show it's ugly head. The reason you notice it when stationary is because nothing much else is going on in the gearbox. To select reverse gear you are trying to bring in an idler gear between 1st gear and reverse, which if the clutch is still slightly engaging with the flywheel, may be fairly easy, but trying to take it out of reverse gear can prove difficult as the gear is being loaded slightly. Of course there are other things that can cause this issue but the clutch is often a favourite candidate. I've replaced many a clutch on customers cars for just this very problem. You may start to notice first year getting difficult to select and deselect soon if it's the clutch and it starts to get worse. 

• 2 years later...

I have skoda Fabia 2017 and experiencing the same problem with the gearbox. I have noticed that it happens when the weather is cold. I have trouble engaging the reverse gear and pulling out of the reverse gear. I am also attaching a video of it. How did you manage to fix it as it seems like the same problem? 

On 27/06/2017 at 11:21, fuelpump said:

thanks guys will definitely report it 

If it happened to me I would get it picked up and delivered to my dealer "AS, IS"

no room to if and but put the dodgy clutch/gearbox in their lap!!

• 3 months later...
On 27/06/2017 at 13:11, GeneralPurpose said:

It's probably a clutch issue and not the gearbox.

Had the same issue, reverse and 1st gear stuc/hard to disengaek when I was doing back-forth while parking. The issue was not happening when the car was cold.

It was a clutch issue (a part of the clutch), they changed the whole clutch set as the car was still under warranty

I’ve had the same problem, because of lockdown my booking was cancelled so it won’t go in now until June 16th but I’ll update you with what I’m told. There are also several similar posts on this forum if you want other people’s experiences. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 12:40, Phoenixd said:

I’ve had the same problem, because of lockdown my booking was cancelled so it won’t go in now until June 16th but I’ll update you with what I’m told. There are also several similar posts on this forum if you want other people’s experiences. 

So my car is in for it’s first service and they’re going to check the gear box while they have it, so far as expected they have been unable to recreate the problem. The workshop controller is going to take my car home and bring it back tomorrow (about 17 miles each way) to see if he can experience it. I’ll update if there’s any progress :) 

UPDATE: 

They were unable to recreate the problem despite the workshop controller taking the car home to play with. They have told me that the the clutch must be fully down (obviously) and that I have to wait at least 5 seconds while stationary before engaging or disengaging reverse gear, this does not apply to other gears. They said that it’s unfortunate but it’s just the way the gear box is built and that there is nothing wrong with it and nothing they can do about it. 🙄 

Having had the car back for one day it’s got stuck in reverse twice and waiting 5 seconds make no difference so I’m not sure what to do next really.