AUTO Headlight Switch - question...

My SE-L has AUTO headlamps. Since getting the car in March I've left it set on AUTO. When the headlamps switch themselves on the green sidelight indicator illuminates on the light switch to advise that the lights are on.

The other day it was bright outside but foggy so I needed to switch the headlamps on manually as the AUTO function doesn't recognise fog. But when I turned the switch to the 'headlight-on' position I noticed that only the sidelight indicator illuminated but not the headligt indicator? I therefore drove a few miles in fog not knowing if my headlights were working or not. Once I pulled up behind another vehicle I could see from the reflection that they were working.

Can somebody please do me a favour and check to see if your 'headlight indicator' illuminates when you manually override the AUTO function as I'm baffled as to why it only illuminates the sidelight indicator? Thanks in advance...

for-Skoda-Octavia-2015-Auto-font-b-Headlight-b-font-font-b-Switch-b-font-font.jpg

when switch to auto, only this two indicator are on, even the headlights working. and I didn't notice whether the headlight indicator turn to green or not, tomorrow i'll check it for you, it is raining outside.:sadsmile:

QQ截图20170701190035.png

• Like 1

All VAG headlight switches operate in this way, the dipped headlight symbol does not illuminate brightly.

The only two positions to increase intensity is 'Auto' and 'sidelights'.

My MkII Superb operates the same, but the dipped headlight symbol was in the dash.

Since then Skoda have omitted the indicator on the dash but not upgraded the light switch.

Stupid if you ask me.

Common sense got left behind somewhere between the MkII and the MkIII...

Image result for skoda headlight icon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

All VAG headlight switches operate in this way, the dipped headlight symbol does not illuminate brightly.

The only two positions to increase intensity is 'Auto' and 'sidelights'.

My MkII Superb operates the same, but the dipped headlight symbol was in the dash.

Since then Skoda have omitted the indicator on the dash but not upgraded the light switch.

Stupid if you ask me.

Common sense got left behind somewhere between the MkII and the MkIII...

Image result for skoda headlight icon

Agreed! All previous cars I've had with AUTO headlights have a headlight symbol on the dash as per your photo. It's no big deal, just seems a silly thing to miss for such an import function. Thanks for the feedback 

@FloatingBrick I hadn't really taken any notice until driving home tonight, but the instrument lights (speedo and tacho) are only illuminated when dipped or main beam is on but are unlit if only the sidelights are on. In normal daylight you wouldn't notice it.

• Like 1

Mine is the same. I've tried to work out the logic behind why the instrument panel doesn't illuminate when the side lights are on. The only two things I've come up with is a) its for when you leave your side lights on whilst parking, B) the design team were all mullered on Vodka when they got round to the light switch functionality :party:

• Like 1

The logic is that it's a reminder that it's dark enough to have you headlights on. You shouldnt be diving around with just your side/parking lights on. Simply Clever.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

All those cars that drive around in the dark or poor visibility with only DRL's (Daytime Running Lights)...

...no doubt their instrument lights are at full brightness regardless of the light switch position.

Skoda's system is actually pretty good, in all but the lack of a dipped headlight on-dash tell-tale.

Yup mine does this, so does SWMBO's 2016 A3, so does my sons Golf mk7. 

Shoddy design fault imo

In the A3 the sidelights are automatic too, so if it's dusk or dawn for example but not dark enough for dipped beam, the side lights come on by themselves. In this situation the sidelight symbol goes green but the AUTO symbol goes orange! 

If you pull the light switch in "Auto" front fogs come on with headlights, I assume the adaptive lighting fog light setting works in Auto

1 minute ago, Q102 said:

If you pull the light switch in "Auto" front fogs come on with headlights, I assume the adaptive lighting fog light setting works in Auto

Only when it's foggy tho please :D a lot of people around where I live obviously haven't read the highway code lol...

Yep my cornering lights work in Auto, you can't turn them off independently I've found

What I like is that if your headlights come on in rain (option in lighting menu), if it's still light out the cornering fogs don't work even if your headlights are on. They only work in the dark :) excellent little refinement idea by VAG