Skoda fabia VRS 2004 cranking but not firing.....

Hi all. Ive been searching for an answer to my problem for the last week or so. Recently I had a major coolant leak while driving the other half over to the train station. 

Turned out that the radiator was cracked and was P&*sing out the back by the small rad fan. Anyways, drained the system and replaced the rad ran the car up to temp and it worked fine. Took it for a drive checked temps, checked for leaks and all good. 

The following day, i went to start the car and it cranked but did not fire. It almost fired, like as if it was starved of fuel but never actually fired. No EML no other signs. 

Plugged the computer in and it showed no codes. While the car was plugged in, we were trying to grab the crank speed while cranking the car and hey presto it fired like it normally does. 

Left it running for a while, took it for a spin, came back turned off cranked it back up and it fired as normal. I put it down to some crud in the fuel and left it at that. Tried it again this morning and it was fine. Took it for a spin this afternoon ran it up to temp, all good. Came back home, left it completely cool down so the temp gauge on the dials registered 0 tried to start and again, cranking but no firing. So ive kinda worked out that for some reason, the car will start fine from cold, it will also start fine when up to operating temperature, but as soon as you leave it cool from op temp down to 0 it will not fire again until the engine is stone cold i.e the next day.

I unplugged the coolant temp sensor and it did actually fire but i'm really stunted now because it could have been pure luck that it started as it again struggled but did fire. 

Any help on this would be much appreciated. 

Thanks both. I replaced the coolant temp sensor today but still no firing just a lot of cranking. 

Ive located the fuel temp sensor and I have priced a new sensor at around £10 from GSF car parts. 

Has anyone else had these symptoms that were corrected by replacing the fuel temp sensor? 

Just to close this thread if anyone else is looking. I changed the fuel temp sensor today and it is working as normal. No abnormal smoke out of the back when cold so this was obviously the problem. Real weird how it went so sudden after a radiator change but these things are sent to try us!

Thanks to all who commented and Sepulchrave who advised this first and Jars for the Link!

• Like 2

Scratch that above post. It has come back with a vengeance. 

Ran it all day today with no problems. Went to go out in it tonight from a cold start and crank but no start......car is doing my head in so much right now that I'm thinking its going off the road tomorrow and going to be put into bits and sold.