Difficult putting car into first gear

Got a new skoda Fabia s 60. Noticed the first couple of times driving it, the car tends to struggle getting into first gear. Sometimes I have to push really hard to get it into first gear. Going into rest of gears is smooth. It's not all the time, the car does go into first smooth sometimes but it's struggles enough for me to notice. 

Is this common? Or should I get it checked to (would this be free getting it checked if bought from skoda dealer?)

cheers!

Edited by tazybomb

Hi,

yes mine is the same, in fact the gearbox is the weakest link with my Fabia. Gearbox whines and chatters, back lash noises, trouble engaging gears mainly when cold. A characteristic apparently! When I'm in for a service I'm going to get dealer to check it again as my opinion is it's getting louder. Still drives ok though. 

I would be surprised if dealer charges to check car if it's still under warranty.

Edited by Pumatron

I posted about this back in April when I picked my new Fabia up. Does it seem like there's a stiff notch before it fully seats into first? Mine still has it but either I've got used to it or it does it less often. I think I'm just over 2200 miles so it may be wearing in. I never bothered taking it to get checked out as I've previously been bitten by other manufacturers technicians causing more problems than they solve once they start disassembling parts!

I am afraid it is almost certainly a characteristic of the gearbox on the 1.0 S. My old Citigo and my wife's current Fabia 1.0 S both had/have a balky first gear. Just got used to it.