Fabia window problems

Hi I'm having trouble with my fabia electric windows . I've put a new motor in driver side but passenger side window won't open unless I unplug the driver's side and the driver's side won't open with the passenger side plugged in . The lock switch  by gear stick doesn't seem to work but lights up when I lock the car I don't have a remote key for the car not sure if it would help Any advice would be appreciated.

not heard of this exact problem before but...

when you open the door there is a rubber cover over the wiring from the car to the door, the wires inside often break because of all the bending of the door opening etc. take the boot off and have a look. only thing id say is that its a bit tricky to get off so have a bit of a google for what ive said and youll fins some pictures.

out of interest, how long have you had the car? not flood damage is it?

Only had the car a few months windows weren't working when I bought it put new switch window regulator and motor on driver's side then found out the only way to open the passenger window was to unplug the driver's window motor . I've just fitted a second hand door loom. The switch by the handbrake lights up when I lock the car but if I sit in the car and press it nothing happens . Also since fitting the loom a light on the dash says there is a door open when they all shut I had a Auto electrician look at it and he could find any wiring faults.

where did you buy the car from? sounds a lot like flood damage to me (I hope someone can tell me im wrong!) theres a control module for the windows (IIRC its in the passenger footwell near the middle of the car.) could be an issue with that. im 90% sure they control the windows and doors electrics, might be called the comfort module, not too sure

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, did you get anywhere with this problem?

I have similar symptoms with my 2007 roomster 2 1.6 petrol auto.

After a rainstorm, windows failed (only fronts r electric).

Checked / replaced drivers side switch, was OK but replaced anyway.

Checked drivers side wiring loom, had been replaced and looked good.

Checked LH loom, looked OK.

Key does not operate windows, but all door functions (mirrors, locks etc.) are fine.

Unplugged / plugged-in door-looms, all worked, windows re-set. Worked all day.

Next day, nothing works again, totally dry, car floors are dry.

Drivers side motor replaced, same again. All works for a day, then nothing.

Unplug drivers side, LH window works, and vice versa.

So, I think it has to be the 'convenience-comfort' module.

But: Where is it located in a roomster?

Is it worth buying a used one? Is it part nr. 5J0 959 433 A?

Or, buy a new one, approx. 150 pounds I suppose.

And anyone who can program it for me near Buxton - Ashbourne area, Derbyshire?

Note, I found water-ingress due to poor door seals. Rears worst, fronts leak in heavy rain and water dribbles over sill into footwells.

So, door seals need replacing. Sprayed silicone-spray and they are improved.

Any update about comfort module would be a great help. Thanks

Door seals will not totally stop water ingress, thats why the doors have drainage holes at the bottom. After a bout of wet weather, you will see water flow or drip out f them, as you open the door. The trick is to keep the water away from the electrics but even damp environments can cause issues.

I had a similar issue with the auto functions on my front windows which de-activated when wet or quite damp. I eventually replaced both switches, (I fitted nicer ones, with the alu/chrome strips) Since then, it has been fine. 

I think I am right in saying the interior switch, by the centre console, is just a door lock, not a window lock. You need the four electric window set up, to have the window immobiliser function.

I am unsure as to where the module is as it may be in the passenger door or under the bonnet somewhere, etc. 

Some models have a remote key function, where you can lock/unlock the doors and hold the switch, to open/close the windows, too. Also, you should be able to insert the key into the drivers door lock, lower or raise the windows by turning and again, holding that position until the desired window position is reached. (Sun roof too, if fitted and electric).

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I frequently check the door drains, keep them clean, and they work fine (plenty water comes out).

I checked in the drivers door yesterday, removed motor and checked module, all dry as a bone, not even any condensation.

Even put the old motor back in, which annoyingly worked fine, as did passenger side. Until this morning....

Footwells seem bone dry. But, even so, side windows can condense on a journey.

I changed pollen filter a couple of months ago which improved fresh-air inflow.

Windows never did work with key turned in door-lock (remote function). You are correct, the central button is only for unlocking doors but has no influence on windows.

So perhaps there could be a fault in the comfort-convenience module, wherever it is.

A most bizarre discovery is, when reverse is selected, the Aircon Recirc. fan runs. without Recirc. being on. I am losing the plot I think.

Perhaps the car will be moved on, life is too short for all these simple but un-necessary problems.

On 06/07/2017 at 19:31, Bailey05 said:

Only had the car a few months windows weren't working when I bought it put new switch window regulator and motor on driver's side then found out the only way to open the passenger window was to unplug the driver's window motor . I've just fitted a second hand door loom. The switch by the handbrake lights up when I lock the car but if I sit in the car and press it nothing happens . Also since fitting the loom a light on the dash says there is a door open when they all shut I had a Auto electrician look at it and he could find any wiring faults.

Are you sure you fitted the correct loom AND correct drivers door motor. If the dash says the door is open, its not getting the correct signal from the drivers door lock motor which tells me the wiring is most likely wrong, this inturn will stop the door switch in the console working as it again needs to know the drivers door is shut before it works.

The drivers door window motor contains the control unit which controls all the other windows.

What year / model of vehicle is it and what part number of loom and door motor did you fit ?

Edited by UrbanPanzer

10 hours ago, gilroom said:

A most bizarre discovery is, when reverse is selected, the Aircon Recirc. fan runs. without Recirc. being on. I am losing the plot I think. 

Perhaps the car will be moved on, life is too short for all these simple but un-necessary problems.

Think thats a "feature" of the system.

11 hours ago, gilroom said:

Hi, did you get anywhere with this problem?

I have similar symptoms with my 2007 roomster 2 1.6 petrol auto.

After a rainstorm, windows failed (only fronts r electric).

Checked / replaced drivers side switch, was OK but replaced anyway.

Checked drivers side wiring loom, had been replaced and looked good.

Checked LH loom, looked OK.

Key does not operate windows, but all door functions (mirrors, locks etc.) are fine.

Unplugged / plugged-in door-looms, all worked, windows re-set. Worked all day.

Next day, nothing works again, totally dry, car floors are dry.

Drivers side motor replaced, same again. All works for a day, then nothing.

Unplug drivers side, LH window works, and vice versa.

So, I think it has to be the 'convenience-comfort' module.

But: Where is it located in a roomster?

Is it worth buying a used one? Is it part nr. 5J0 959 433 A?

Or, buy a new one, approx. 150 pounds I suppose.

And anyone who can program it for me near Buxton - Ashbourne area, Derbyshire?

Note, I found water-ingress due to poor door seals. Rears worst, fronts leak in heavy rain and water dribbles over sill into footwells.

So, door seals need replacing. Sprayed silicone-spray and they are improved.

Any update about comfort module would be a great help. Thanks

It would only need one broken wire to cause issues.........this is def the place to start, it might not be snapped completely, it may just have a broken core.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

....Not sure if its recirc that runs, just the fan speeds up. This is to draw in fresher air as you reverse into your exhaust fumes... (Climatronic digital climate).

Also, if the front wiper is on, the rear will give a single sweep when reverse is selected. 

• Like 1

Thanks both for the info. and tips. I did wonder about reverse functions.

I will check (original) LH door loom when I get time. Can't see any breaks inside gaiter, but I'll just replace it and see what happens.

Drivers door loom was main-dealer replaced Dec. 2017, just 7,000 miles ago so hope it can't have failed again...

Just seems bizarre, I get all windows working, also in auto, and all door fucntions are OK. Open and close doors etc., still working.

Then switch ignition off for a time, windows lose all functions but all other door functions are still OK.

Unplug LH door loom, RH window works. And vice-versa.  Both plugged in,. nothing works.

Unplug both, leave for a couple of hours. Plug back in, all works.

I was sort of hoping there may be experience / historical diagnosis of this symptom.

but, thanks, and what a fantastic knowledge base here.

Sounds a bit funny but have you checked the battery is well charged, too?  I don't know the age of the car, etc but weak old batteries cause many gremlins.