1.4 TSI air filter material cover thingy

Well i apologise if this is a stupid question but i ordered a new air filter just a stock original part and there is a white material cover over it ,the old one that came out has no cover just a the standard paper filter. I've not seen one with a material cover over before so just wondering should it be on or not seems to slide on and off fairly easy. I haven't had the car from new so not sure which is correct or if it even matters so thought i'd ask on here Thanks in advance chaps  

Iirc, there were originally two filter variants, the plain paper one, and the one with the additional white filter material covering. The additional covering was for the cold climate version, presumably less likely prone to icing.

Anyway thats now the standard for fabia 1.2 tsi engines.

Brilliant thank you i'll leave it on then.

Can't see anything written on the old one, the car came from a VW dealer that apparently did x amount of checks and gave it a full service about 8 months ago  but i think i might just check the spark plugs/ change them after reading a few of your posts Awayoffski swap the oil out while i'm at it i figure it can't hurt even if they did do/check it

Cheers xman so not having it on isn't likely to have done any damage then.

Thank you both for the speedy replies 

Good luck with the Skoda 'Recalls Action' facility.
Out of curiosity I just tried and got the response 'Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.'
I also noticed that ta the bottom there is the reassuring comment 'No responsibility is taken for the correctness of the information.'.

• 2 weeks later...