1.4 TDI engine tuning guide...

pietch

The fault condition will, as explained in the post I gave you the link to, cause the ECU to set a default 'safe' value.

It's a common side effect of tuning boxes when set too high they cause a lumpy idle.

Putting way too much fuel in the cylinder may cause over heating which could lead to all sorts of damage such as burnt valves and damaged piston and bores.

I really find it hard to understand why you continue to explore this avenue and risk damaging your engine.

Hi Stu!

Its just I like to muck around with cars and understand the risks. I believe the risk would be very low when it comes to using the analogue and digital box together on a trial run.

Worst case would be lots of smoke, lumpy idle or fault light all of which would = removal of analogue box and then a purchase of the VAG-COM unit to reset everything.

On the other hand it may run better still and bring me miles more smiles! :) For this it may be worth the risk.

Surly someone must have tried this on another PD TDI on this forum, anyone know of any links to articles on such cases?

JBS Auto Design:

What makes you chip beter then the one I have below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8038179924&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Thanks

Surely if two cheap boxes worked together and had the same benefits as a map, then none of the remappers out there would have a business? Right?

Seems like flogging a dead horse to me mate. If you want better performance with the least strain/problems on your engine you'll need to get it mapped. That'll adjust boost pressures and everything that a simple box cannot do to the same effect.

You can only put so much extra fuel in the engine. Surely the makers of your box will have figured out exactly how much extra fuel they can put in before it starts being pointless and will have made the box to that spec. No use trying to cram a loaf into your toaster at once.

Hi Mort.

A remap is not easily removable, what if I do not like it? This is why I am not going for this option.

Also I am presuming the digital box tuners have built in safety margins, I just want to get closer to the margin :)

Has anyone tried this here?

They should be able to reset the map back to standard if you don't like it?

Or if you want to spend a little extra you could get a custom map and have it set personally to the way you want it?

May be worth considering?

guys, you just *know* this bloke'll be back soon asking if anyone is breaking a car with a 1.4PDI...

remap. remap. remap. *any* remap is going to be better than buggering about with overfueling, and won't cause clouds of smoke behind you (well, unless you're called jason!). jbs's custom code is a very, very good remap: there are cheaper, there are alternatives (I went Jabbasport, myself) but you are getting something that's increasing performance in a controlled, sensible way: rather than just fooling the ECU into overfueling.

I appreciate it's nice to tinker, but there are times when there really is a right and a wrong way of doing it...!

guys' date=' you just *know* this bloke'll be back soon asking if anyone is breaking a car with a 1.4PDI...

remap. remap. remap. *any* remap is going to be better than buggering about with overfueling, and won't cause clouds of smoke behind you (well, unless you're called jason!). jbs's custom code is a very, very good remap: there are cheaper, there are alternatives (I went Jabbasport, myself) but you are getting something that's increasing performance in a controlled, sensible way: rather than just fooling the ECU into overfueling.

I appreciate it's nice to tinker, but there are times when there really is a right and a wrong way of doing it...![/quote']

;)

I wanted some technical information, if anyone here can let me know it would be appreciated. I am tired of hearing the word remap. Thanks

I think you have been provided with most of the information you asked for as well as some good advice.

The reason that people keep refering you to a remap is that it would be the safest, and probably most cost effective, way to achieve your aims.

What else do you want to know?

pietch, DONT get an analogue and a digital tuning box at the same time. It WILL cause:

No performance gain after the 1st box is installed

Cronic overfuelling

Lots more smoke

VAG-COM is a very expensive piece of equipment and you'll need a laptop with a cable to reset it and the technical knowledge to do so

No warranty on your engine WHEN it goes pop

YOU CAN do the following though safely. You could just use 1 digital tuning box, lets be honest a 1.4 TDi is never going to tickle the hairs on your spine as it drives by. It's just not that quick. You can get useable, drivable power though with a tuning box.

A remap on the other hand is better in every way and can be removed if you don't like it (you will), the delivery of power is always more important than peak BHP something only a tailored remap can give.

Search the forums, I think you'll realise a remap is more cost effective, less prone to breaking, and GENERALLY a lot better. It can also factor in future mods (exhaust, air filter, intake, FMIC etc etc) whereas a tuning box cannot.

If you don't like what your hearing about remaps etc then you obviously don't heed people's warnings. 1 tuning box is ok for small gains, with an air filter would have you a nice runabout. if your after the most you can get from your 1.4 tdi then your barking up the wrong tree with a tuning box.

I am afraid I have to agree with everyone on here.

It will not be a good idea to put on 2 boxes to give you increased power.

Because it will not.

You have been informed that the tuning boxes will just overfuel and that has been mentioned many times on here.

So by adding another do you seriously think that it will make it faster?

I dont think so.

There is a reason why tuning boxes are cheap and that remaps are more expensive.

So you pays your money and takes your choice.

I am afraid you will not get anyone on here to agree with what you are doing.

If you want advise , you have had the advise and that is dont do it.

Good luck with your quest for cheap power.

If you do get to find out please let us all know.

Sarah

Hi Guys.

Sorry if I sounded harsh in the last post. I just wanted some 'non remap' technical advice.

Anyway here is the UPDATE:

I removed the analogue tuning box and fitted the tandem tuning digital tuning box. The car has lost low end grund but gained top end! I thought this may have happened.

I think the car is faster but it feels slower as it does not have the surge and punch in the back it had with the analogue box, it is smoother though and pulls past the 3500rpm right up to 4000+ rpm barrier which is nice!

If it were possible to race side by side I think the analogue box would win to 60mpn the digital box would win after. On a 1/4 mile track I think it would be neck and neck.

The car idles fine on the highest digital setting. Now I am wondering if I also re-fit the analogue box will I have the best of both worlds?

I have a laptop and am good with computers. Will this mean at worst I may have to reset the car if it does not feel good agter a trial drive?

Technical non remap advice appreciated :)

I cannot give advice on using 2 tuning boxes at once however I can say that when I contacted Dragon about using a digital tuning box with my remap they said stay well away otherwise you'll end up with 5 bhp more and cronic overfuelling and soot.

If you have a laptop, you NEED the cable and VAG-COM from:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

about $250 IIRC.

Steering away from a remap here, but staying on the point of tuning boxes.

The 1.4 TDi was designed to be an economical runabout that had a nice mid-range punch, but nothing OTT to make it cheap to insure and run.

By adding a tuning box you are probably doing the best thing to be honest. It's not going to be rapid but at the same time not going to cost you

Hi Hellfire.

Thanks for the note on the VAG-COM - I thought it was a lot cheaper. See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-KKL-Vag-Com-Cable-Interface-VW-Audi-VagCom_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4612979257QQrdZ1

I dont really care for economy - 40mpg rather than 65mpg will do me fine.

"The reason the tuning box feels like it has less of an urge is probably because of the way the power is delivered" - This could be quite true but I checked the speedo and it moves slower pre- 60mph.

Right now the car produces no soot at all. I think I wlll try the resistor mod. It may bring back the low end punch. If it feels bad and soots alot I think I will go back to the resistor mod as it felt better (speed is nothing with sensory perception).

What will happen if an engine check light comes on, I heard that you just need to reset the ignition a couple of times. Or will the car go into limp mode and require VAG-COM software or dealer to reset?

What will happen if an engine check light comes on, I heard that you just need to reset the ignition a couple of times. Or will the car go into limp mode and require VAG-COM software or dealer to reset?

Unsure mate, on my previous Mondeo I just turned the ignition off for 20 seconds and it was fine, it did however make a log so my dealership could tell it had been tampered with.

Your dealer should be able to reset you car should the worst happen, unsure of cost but might be a freebie if you play dumb/ask nicely.

Have you done 0-60 times with each just to check?

Also might be worth having a rolling road check just to see which is really producing more power (bhp and torque) and at what revv's, and also which one has the most useable powerband.

Have a look into other mods though seriously. Can you take a picture of your engine bay so I can see if other mods might work in the same way they do on my car.

Ok pietch, can I recommend you order the following two parts from your local Seat dealer:

Trumpet (connecting part) - 6LL129621

Pipe - 6LL129618

This is for the Cupra Intake, by the looks of the 1.4 TDi engine it is a straight fit and should give more power as more air is going to the engine (a lot more), it's from a Seat Ibiza Cupra PD160. This is a tried and tested mod on the 1.9 TDi and should also work with your 1.4 TDi and costs around £30 IIRC, maybe less.

You can also order the following part from Demon tweeks:

GRER727398

It's a Green panel performance air filter that should be less restrictive than the stock air filter and costs £33.99.

If your wanting to tune the handling you may also want to consider the seat sport strut brace (a quick search on here should find the part number), costs about £50 but worth every penny IMO.

Hi Hellfire.

I will probably buy the Trumpet (connecting part) - 6LL129621 and

Pipe - 6LL129618 for £30 as this will decrease turbo lag right? Will it increase BHP?

I doubt I will buy the GREEN panel filter, for the 1 or 2 bhp it is not worth £33.99.

I think next would be lowering springs and then perhaps a strut brace but I will leave these for now, concentrating on engine first.

Will let you know what happend when I put the resistor analogue box back on later today.