Right Driver side wing mirror problem

Hi,

The glass part came off and smashed on the floor so I ordered this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Driver-side-Wide-Angle-Wing-mirror-glass-for-Skoda-Octavia-04-08-heat/280621241349?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I fitted it today no problem however when I adjust the mirror by turning the control knob to R first it also controls the left wing mirror which is strange. I only get this problem in position R not position L.

Please advise,

That's a feature which can be switched on and off in your maxidot settings. If you don't have maxidot it may need VCDS to sort it. 

Ok thanks, my car does not have maxidot so has to be vcds as you suggested.

Forgot to mention in the 1st post that my car has heated wing mirrors.

Like to know what triggered this problem as I never had this problem before with the car.

Adjusting both mirrors simultaneously with one switch position is the standard. It is so you can dip both mirrors at the same time when you want to reverse. The way to use it conventionally is to adjust the right mirror first then adjust the left mirror.

On 2017/7/20 at 00:01, pikpilot said:

Adjusting both mirrors simultaneously with one switch position is the standard. It is so you can dip both mirrors at the same time when you want to reverse. The way to use it conventionally is to adjust the right mirror first then adjust the left mirror.

I thought it's not intend for dipping the mirror when reversing, but for adjusting the mirror more easily when switching drivers. There's a seperate function, which comes with memory seat, that the passenger side mirror would tilt down a little when reverse gear is engaged.

This function can also be triggered using VCDS by tricking the door control module to think that you have memory seat equipped. It only works with certain door control modules.

Yes, I was aware of the two driver situation when adjusting one mirror reflects a similar change on the other mirror.

In fact, my garage uses this when doing a post service test drive. Unfortunately, other drivers hit the other mirror first as I leave the switch in the heated position all year round (the amount of heating is ambient temp sensitive so no problem in doing so but it clears rain quickly from the mirror).

In my nearest two towns there are on-street parallel parking bays that were painted before cars got wider. Being able to adjust the mirrors to get a view of the rear wheel allows me to get close to the kerb and also check the outside white line to avoid a fine for having the outside wheels over the white line (on the line is allowed).

On 19/07/2017 at 17:01, pikpilot said:

I tried adjusting the right mirror first but it adjust the left mirror as well. Still have the same problem. Please advise.

You are correct. The left mirror position adjusts just the left mirror, the right mirror position adjusts both. To make adjustments to both sides, simply move the right mirror to your preferred position first, then the left. As your garage said, it is a standard feature, there to give the benefits shown above. Just confusing until you get used to it.

Perhaps you did not notice it before if you always adjusted the right mirror first.

Ok got it, so you have to adjust the right mirror first then left correct?

What I ordered from ebay is a wide angle mirror, do skoda officially use wide angle mirrors or normal mirrors for my car? 

I don't know what they call it but mine is slightly wide angle except for the very wide angle part after the brown line at about three quarter of  the way across.

• 3 years later...

Is the door open display on the dash working for both front doors; are the lights near the bottom of the door cards working?

Get the faults codes read. The mirror supply is from the controller which also turns on the door card light when the door is open. Do the puddle lights on the bottom of the door mirrors also light when the door is open? They are controlled and powered by the same unit.

No they don’t . How will having the codes read help ? . I thought it might of been a fuse or control knob broken ? 

The items I mentioned are controlled electronically and there are no fuses.

It is fairly common, with age, for the door controller to receive false signals from failed micro-switches in the door locking mechanism resulting in any or all of: no door indication on the dash, no light on the door card when the door is opened, no puddle lights at the bottom of the exterior mirror.

There are two mechanical reasons reported too. One is is a broken wire(s) in the wiring snake that you see when you open the door. It is the rubber tube that connects the door to the body. Peel back the rubber at the body end and check for broken wires in the tube and the connectors. The other mechanical reason is failure of the mirror switch and this has also been reported.  I have not done this myself on a Mk2 but it is probably like others in that you can prise it out from the door trim and disconnect the connector (make sure you don't allow the cable fall down inside the door). If you want to buy a replacement, find the part number on the old unit, probably starting 1K.

I had to have the door controller replaced on my car and the Skoda garage that did the work forgot to re-program the controller for the door card light initially - and later had to program the controller again as the external mirror puddle light ceased operation after a few weeks.  

I said check for fault codes as you can probably see now that modern cars are not like older cars which had a supply via a fuse to a switch and a wire out to turn things on. Some multi function switches on the car simply change the resistance seen by a controller when you select a new switch position (and may be the case with the mirror switch, but I have not checked). The function receives its supply via the controller.