Wiper motor problems

Flicked the wipers on this morning to clear the screen, the wipers worked, but a bit of a racket from the motor. Thought it might be electrical interference to start with but switching the radio off scotched that one. Popped into the local Skoda service centre, diagnosed almost certainly as the motor on the way out. Lasted a year, not good. Oh, an interesting fact, opening the bonnet switches the wipers off.

Rain X'd the windscreen just in case they pack up prior to being fixed.

Edited by peter3197

That's unfortunate peter. Usually it's just the motor seal/s that go. Water gets in and you know the rest. Anyhoo, it'll be fixed under warranty. How you getting on with the 1.0ltr engined car? I found them to be pretty good around town, very nippy.

45 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

How you getting on with the 1.0ltr engined car? I found them to be pretty good around town, very nippy.

I use both motors on a regular basis and the only real difference I find is when overtaking. The 1.0ltr is like the old Mk1 sdi, think very carefully when you overtake. 

An interesting visit to the dealer today. It's not the motor but the spindles. New complete assembly required, which is on back order. I wonder if that is an indication that there is a problem with the original mechanism, it was intimated as such by the front of house staff at the dealer. 

Speaking of wipers, is the back wiper not supposed to have a smooth motion? On my Fabia it wipes cleanly for the first wipe and then every wipe after this seems to be almost in a ticked/staged fashion as it wipes across the screen

I'm not trying to be stupid, but is this really happening, or is the maybe too hard etc wiper blade not just dragging/bouncing across the almost dry rear window?  If so, try cleaning the rear screen well and the rubber on the wiper blade.

37 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I'm not trying to be stupid, but is this really happening, or is the maybe too hard etc wiper blade not just dragging/bouncing across the almost dry rear window?  If so, try cleaning the rear screen well and the rubber on the wiper blade.

So this has been in constant wet conditions i.e. rain in the last few days. So I guess as the screen gets drier it does add drag but from what I have seen of other wipers I didn't expect the resistance to be that large. Maybe I am just over thinking it :blush:

On 28 July 2017 at 11:32, NyHoK said:

So this has been in constant wet conditions i.e. rain in the last few days. So I guess as the screen gets drier it does add drag but from what I have seen of other wipers I didn't expect the resistance to be that large. Maybe I am just over thinking it :blush:

Have to say that my rear wiper blade sounds like it is trying to rip the glass out. It's the original blade so probably not the best of quality...done it since day one. Coming up for two years so due a change to Bosch or similar. I never let blades go longer than 2 years as I see them as a prime safety item, and we all have our foibles. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/08/2017 at 17:56, alltorque said:

Have to say that my rear wiper blade sounds like it is trying to rip the glass out. It's the original blade so probably not the best of quality...done it since day one. Coming up for two years so due a change to Bosch or similar. I never let blades go longer than 2 years as I see them as a prime safety item, and we all have our foibles. 

Glad it's not just mine. After 9 months mine started making a horrendous noise... almost as if it's pressing too hard on the glass. Same happens with my dad's Mk2 Octavia Estate. Not sure if it's the blade or a design fault with those rear wiper mechanisms? 

Car is in for a service on Friday so will be interested to see if they pick this up.

Mine. Was in for 2nd year Service last Wednesday, i didn't mention the rear wiper and they didn't either......but it a dry day.  They did replace the wheel centre caps, which were delaminating, under warranty...advised a cost of £69.95 is not judged to be a warranty item. Thanfully it was. Back this week for aircon service, ran out of time last week, so may mention rear wiper then but think I can hear the response.  I suspect the compound used for the blade is too hard. We shall see.

• Like 1

At "year 2" service, for my wife's Polo VW issued advisories for "AC service" and "all wiper blades replacement" - as being general remarks, comments.

• 2 weeks later...

What laugh, took it in today to have the windscreen wiper linkage changed as Northampton Progress had diagnosed it, both myself and the Kettering Progress service manager thought it was the motor. Guess what, it was the motor, so the part now has to be ordered. So they are going to have the car while I'm on holiday and sort it along with trying to find out what's wrong with the steering. See my other recent thread.

On 20 August 2017 at 09:04, alltorque said:

Mine. Was in for 2nd year Service last Wednesday, i didn't mention the rear wiper and they didn't either......but it a dry day.  They did replace the wheel centre caps, which were delaminating, under warranty...advised a cost of £69.95 is not judged to be a warranty item. Thanfully it was. Back this week for aircon service, ran out of time last week, so may mention rear wiper then but think I can hear the response.  I suspect the compound used for the blade is too hard. We shall see.

Purchased a hew Bosch-branded rear wiper and the difference is amazing. No skipping, no graunching, just clean sweeps...even on dry glass. Another area of factory penny-pinching?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the car back yesterday, comedy of errors. They ordered the wrong part number for the motor and the right one didn't turn up till yesterday so I had to pick up a courtesy car on Sunday after I got back from Majorca. Did the job immediately yesterday morning and I fetched it early afternoon. In the end it's had both the linkage and the motor done so I shouldn't have problems in that area. The service manager and I left on good terms, I really couldn't see the point in going bonkers over a mistake and having some goodwill in the future may very well be useful.  

• Like 1