Changing diesel fuel filter - pressurised?

Robertino

Guys,

I`m looking to change fuel filter on my car. I came across this statement:

"Changing the filter on a fuel-injected vehicle can be tricky. On fuel-injected vehicles, you need to disable the fuel pump to relieve the pressure on the fuel lines."

Does this apply to my car or its only for petrol cars?

Also, when changing fuel filter, do I need to pour diesel into fuel filter housing before closing cap? I`m thinking about too much air in fuel system if I don`t.

Thank you for any help.

I spoke to Michael from Listers Skoda who told me there is no pressure in fuel filter. Took me 10 min to replace. Undo torx screws, replace filter element, put screws back. Took some 5 seconds to get it started, then another 15 seconds uneven running and then it ran like normal. Just be careful/slow when lifting a lid, fuel will be dripping from it, about handful. Put lot of paper towels around filter. There is no need to pour fuel in filter before putting lid back.

Don`t be afraid to do small stuff like this yourself!

Fuel filter.jpg

Edited by Robertino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I've done the fuel filter change on my 2013 Octavia 2.0 TDI last spring. I followed a topic about that but don't remember if it was in Briskoda or in another VAG forum.

Although it's not really difficult, some things have to be done :

- After the change, the primary fuel pump have to be primed with VCDS (or similiar device) to fill all the pipes and the high pressure pump with fuel. That is to avoid the high pressure pump to run dry.

- Put a very very large piece of towel all around the filter to avoid driping fuel over the nearby coolant pipes (or anything else in the motor bay), wich can be damaged by gasoil.

- Don't lose any screws of washer !

- Wear gloves and eyes protection, just in case.

Edited by mailme