Fuel filler 'flap' stuck!

Fuel filler 'flap' stuck today, had to go to dealership to get it 'fixed' guy prised it open with a plastic 'tool' said to me it's a common fault! I thought, nice!

Anyone else had this issue?

You are not alone. Have a look at Fuel Cap is stuck.... and/or do a search of this forum for "Filler Flap" or "Fuel Cap" and you will get some hits.

That said, the search works equally well on other VAG forums, definitely BMW ones too... we cant feel special because it happens on Skoda's.... ;)

• Like 1

Happened to me on several occasions - constant pressing and re-pressing of the fob would release it after about 2 or 3 minutes but I realised my luck was going to run out at some point. The actual module is buried deep at the join of the rear wing and the 'C' pillar and required over half an hour of trim removal. 

I couldn't fix whatever it was that was causing the problem so I ordered a used replacement which also didn't work! I was getting seriously p***** off by this so I bought a manual cap for about a tenner and now have to open up with a key. The actual flap has to be pulled open by fingertip but it's no great hassle. At least now I'm not going to be shut out of my own petrol tank... 

• Like 1

WD40, WD40 and more WD40.

Mine gets sticky from time-to-time. Copious amounts of WD40 and then using your finger to continuously actuate the sprung loaded release mechanism and its good for another 12 months. 

• Like 1

Mine started  to get awkward a few months ago, not on opening but closing, the lid seemed to go a bit crooked but  I think it is either  the male or female parts which are malfunctioning, ie not aligning up and marrying properly.

5 hours ago, Tony R said:

I think it is either  the male or female parts which are malfunctioning, ie not aligning up and marrying properly.

I'll just have to say it again,  sounds like the routine on our wedding anniversary.

It maybe I wrote what I did so as to give you the  further opportunity of saying again what you had ?  In fact, a STRONG  possibility.  I am glad you  took advantage of  the opening given .

• Like 1

Hey, I ALWAYS try "to take advantage of the opening", but at 55 I don't get that many opportunities these days, arf, arf... ;)

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem about six weeks ago, while at the petrol station. Gave up and went to go to the dealers but stopped on the way. When I came back to my car the fuel flap opened.

Could I repeat the problem of course not. The dealer tried (it was being serviced two days later) but again it would not happen.

Just now, Danny 57 said:

I had the same problem about six weeks ago, while at the petrol station. Gave up and went to go to the dealers but stopped on the way. When I came back to my car the fuel flap opened.

Could I repeat the problem of course not. The dealer tried (it was being serviced two days later) but again it would not happen.

So familiar with this! :) It was ~2 months later when I encountered next issue (refilling ~weekly).