Quirks or something sinister?

I have a fairly leggy Octavia VRS CR170 at 120k miles which I've been running since April. As I've had more time with the car I've noticed a couple of things that seem odd. After my 20 mile commute back from work the fans are sometimes still going long after I've shut the car off (5mins or so). This started in hot weather about a month ago but its happened in downpours and much colder temperatures since. I'd say maybe twice in every 10 journeys. Also I've had a slight hesitation in power, maybe a second at the most when putting my foot down. Its doing the same journey, numerous different conditions, fuel levels, temperature, gears and speeds.

I've had a Fabia block go pop so am I being over cautious? I'd rather write a stupid post than end up with a massive bill.

Cheers

The Fans running once the car has stopped is due to the car being in the middle of a DPF regen, the hesitation may be clogged EGR.

Do a search on here for both of those as there is tons of content and you will probably find a few threads that match.

I had the hesitation on my old Octavia 2.0tdi, cleaned the EGR and it resolved it, not had it on my current vRS as it had a replacement EGR under warranty just after I bought it.

Edited by Dave3283
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave3283 said:

The Fans running once the car has stopped is due to the car being in the middle of a DPF regen, the hesitation may be clogged EGR.

Do a search on here for both of those as there is tons of content and you will probably find a few threads that match.

I had the hesitation on my old Octavia 2.0tdi, cleaned the EGR and it resolved it, not had it on my current vRS as it had a replacement EGR under warranty just after I bought it.

Good to know about the regen, I thought the yellow DPF light comes on during a regen but having looked in the manual this is only if theres an issue with the DPF (blocked etc). I'll change the fuel filter and see if this sorts it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, fabatron said:

Good to know about the regen, I thought the yellow DPF light comes on during a regen but having looked in the manual this is only if theres an issue with the DPF (blocked etc). I'll change the fuel filter and see if this sorts it. Thanks.

As you said, DPF light comes on only when the filter is rather full and needs to be cleaned soon.

In a regular regeneration there won't be any lights. There are some signs to see that the regeneration is going on or has been finished though:

1) idle rpm is ~1k (usually about 780 rpm). Note: this happens also in rather cold weather (warming up the car) or in quite high temperatures as well (probably because of aircon).

2) probably you won't notice the first one while driving. Then if the fuel consumption data is on, you might see significant increase (for example, it might be 4l/100 km while driving in certain speed but somehow it goes up to 5l /100 km.);

3) after a regeneration you might feel the smell of burnt something and the fan issue.

2 hours ago, Jevpls said:

As you said, DPF light comes on only when the filter is rather full and needs to be cleaned soon.

In a regular regeneration there won't be any lights. There are some signs to see that the regeneration is going on or has been finished though:

1) idle rpm is ~1k (usually about 780 rpm). Note: this happens also in rather cold weather (warming up the car) or in quite high temperatures as well (probably because of aircon).

2) probably you won't notice the first one while driving. Then if the fuel consumption data is on, you might see significant increase (for example, it might be 4l/100 km while driving in certain speed but somehow it goes up to 5l /100 km.);

3) after a regeneration you might feel the smell of burnt something and the fan issue.

Ah ok, this explains things. The above all fits with what I'm experiencing, thanks for the info!