Pickup won't turn off. Dodgy wiring?

Hi all,

My 2000, 1.9SDI Skoda pickup sometimes wont turn off when I take the key out of the ignition. I've just stalled it each times this happens so far.

Another thing to add was the other day I was able to turn the engine off with the key out by selecting reverse with the clutch in so I wasn't stalling it but reverse gear would kill it. Though that hasn't worked since.

I'm thinking dodgy wiring or a bad ignition switch though I'm not sure how likely that is? Any ideas and does anybody know where I could get wiring diagrams for the pickup? 

Any help is much appreciated!

3 hours ago, AndrewDH said:

My 2000, 1.9SDI Skoda pickup sometimes wont turn off when I take the key out of the ignition.

It is not supposed to turn off when taking the key out of ignition. The engine turns off when turning the ignition key to Stop position.

Could be any number of things causing the problem. Proper diagnosis is a must. I suspect the following:

• carbon buildup on top of the pistons
  • bad fuel cutoff valve
  • bad ignition switch
  • bad wiring / corrosion in related connectors
Edited by RicardoM

3 hours ago, RicardoM said:

It is not supposed to turn off when taking the key out of ignition. The engine turns off when turning the ignition key to Stop position.

Could be any number of things causing the problem. Proper diagnosis is a must. I suspect the following:

• carbon buildup on top of the pistons
  • bad fuel cutoff valve
  • bad ignition switch
  • bad wiring / corrosion in related connectors

Opps sorry RicardoM, that was what I meant. The car will continue to run in the stop position, Even with the key out. My bad. 

Thanks for giving me a few places to start. Ill have a look and see how I get on.

Cheers!

On 8/8/2017 at 10:20, KenONeill said:

@AndrewDH As @RicardoM says, but I'd strongly suspect the fuel cutoff valve, or corrosion in its connectors, at least if other "ignition live" devices like the radio turn off on the key.

Fair enough @KenONeill, I'll hopefully get a look at her this weekend! will update with any findings! :D