Massive Electrical failure

xop321

5 minutes ago, Solen said:

Indeed it does look like that. 

Basically it is definitely sounding like the same problem as @xop321 had.

As i’d said above, do everything you can to get as much moisture out of the car as you can as I’m pretty certain this is the problem. 

Bit of info for you: 

“A third common cause of intermittent problems is moisture and condensation. Water from rain-soaked streets or moisture condensation from a cold morning dew can infiltrate wiring connectors and provide a short circuit to ground. Dirty water is a good conductor of electricity, so pay close attention to connectors that are located in areas that may be vulnerable to road splash and condensation. If you see droplets of water clinging to wires or a connector, it is likely that water may also be inside. Unplugging and inspecting connectors may reveal an obvious moisture problem. Packing connectors with dielectric grease will help keep out moisture and corrosion.”

Things to help stop moisture:

Dehumidifier bag

AC on all the time 

check drainage holes around the car (under the windscreen, just below the wipers. Another is in the fuel cap area).

check places like the boot and under the seats for damp carpets. 

Edited by Jonny118118

I was lucky that my fault curred itself in the summer time

when I purchased my car the seats where very very dirty so I got my industial carpet cleaner out and cleaned all the seats 2-3 times over a period of a few days

the car was then shut up and I did get a lot of moisture build up on the windows etc, and again the car was left in a damp interior just parked up for days not used at all

when the problem occurred it just would not go away, I swapped relays, fuses, and more, taking the dash apart etc to try to slove it

I did need to connect it to a odis fault code reader to remove all the store random codes, this did not fix it

pulling all the fuses, switching out relays etc did not cure it

it just seemed to fix itself - I am guessing as mentioned before it was a damp issue ( maybe up behind the dash area)

lucky for me this occurred over the summertime, when the weather dried things out good

this time of year it would be harder for a warm enivorment to dry the interior out

also don't forget to clear out the scuttle panel drain holes, they block up and can cause water to pour into the interior threw the heater maxtrix

I would advise parking the car in a garage with some type of heating in the garage to get the  dry air to dry things out for a long period of days ( try a week drying time - or take a trip to the desert) 

Edited by xop321

A trip to the desert would be difficult as I live in kent in the UK! We don’t have many desert in this country. I don’t have access to a garage either. My only solution is taking my car to the Skoda garage. I called the RAC yesterday and the EOBD didn’t not connect, so no diagnostic possible. The mechanic was baffled. FYI my car is parked on the street and has not been flooded or steam cleaned as it was impeccable when I purchased it. 

I had to move my car this morning, and low and behold, all the electric was working again! The engine light is still on though. But at least I can drive it safely until I take it for its service and MOT next week. I placed five bags of silicate gel in the car on Saturday night. One on the parcel shelf, one on the dashboard, one in each of the foot well and one on the back seat. It looks like it might have done the trick. I will keep you posted when I know what the garage gets a diagnostic. 

• Like 1

I had to move my car this morning, and low and behold, all the electric was working again! The engine light is still on though. But at least I can drive it safely until I take it for its service and MOT next week. I placed five bags of silicate gel in the car on Saturday night. One on the parcel shelf, one on the dashboard, one in each of the foot well and one on the back seat. It looks like it might have done the trick. I will keep you posted when I know what the garage gets a diagnostic. 

• 11 months later...

im having this problem right now, will go get Silca gel bags and place in the car, anyone any further thoughts on what may be causing it, my problem is exactly as described here, except the car horn/alarm sounder was going constantly (not alarm intermittent, just like the horn was being pressed all the time), but upon checking the horn it was still working independently. Disconnected battery eventually, but not before all the electrical problems above manifested themselves

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Silica gel bags will take a while to work, as they are meant soak up free water vapour in the air, and if water is still getting in, the bags will not keep up.

I'd get the car dry as dry as possible, with heater and aircon on, and find/fix every source of water ingress, rather than buy gel bags....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

just a update on this

MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR WINDSCREEN DRAIN CHANNELS IN THE TOP JUST BELOW THE LOWER EDGE OF THE WINDSCREEN - both sides

i had the drain channels block up with dirt on a citgo again and water ran into the cabin, just something to be aware of on these