1.6 MPi engine - info please.

Haladams

Good morning, 

Whilst I am ok with engines generally, I know zilch about the 1.6MPi and so registered here in hope of getting some help! Not sure I am in the right section, but hope so...

I was looking for a little Skoda Pick Up circa 2000 as a workhorse around the place for light duties, preferably with a 1.9TDi motor. Sods law though, I came across a 1997 Skoda Fun with very low mileage and kept under cover all its life at a good price. However, it has a 1.6MPi petrol motor!

Initial questions are:

1. Does the 1.6MPi have a mechanical distributer or is it totally electronic with an ECU and coilpak/s?

2. What is the reputation of the 1.6MPi - is it tough or tempermental?

3. What sort of fuel consumption should one expect from a 1.6MPi?

4. Is there anything on the internet that would give me a good initial overview of the motor?

5. This is a long shot question - but would it be difficult to change the 1.6MPi for a 1.9TDi? Can one still buy a 1.9 engine complete?

Any help is really appreciated so that I can either discount this car or actually take it!

Thanks!

Edited by Haladams