Superb dampers

Unfortunately bought a new SEL TDi estate with the standard dampers which a monthly car mag long term testing such an estate said DCC not needed.

Over most roads close to home the damping is DIRE.   Of course it does not mater what setting i have the car in.   If I hit a bump it porpoises around.

Know I cannot retro - fit DCC, so stuck with a car that is only enjoyable on smooth blacktop!   Anyone else had the same problem?

Hi there Richard and welcome to Briskoda :)

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Superb, however you will more than likely get more success with answers to your questions in the Superb Owners section of the forum. Posts any questions in there and I am sure somebody will help you out :)

Paul

Generally, this is a good car but IMHO poor suspension and sloppy body control are the biggest letdowns and DCC doesn't make that much difference.

I tried a Sportline recently and noted how much better it was with the sport suspension.  Sadly, there is no way you can convert to sport suspension without wrecking your warranty.  I asked.  There may be other technical issues as well which people far more knowledgeable than me may be able to discuss with you.

6 hours ago, RichardHH said:

Unfortunately bought a new SEL TDi estate with the standard dampers which a monthly car mag long term testing such an estate said DCC not needed.

Over most roads close to home the damping is DIRE.   Of course it does not mater what setting i have the car in.   If I hit a bump it porpoises around.

Know I cannot retro - fit DCC, so stuck with a car that is only enjoyable on smooth blacktop!   Anyone else had the same problem?

That's interesting, and not my experience (of the same car) at all. It's not as cosseting as many of the reviews would have you believe, but in my opinion it's far from dire.

Are the roads in Sussex particularly bad? I doubt they can be worse than Cheshire. What car did you come from?

Just trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe there's a fault, or the transport blocks have been left in accidentally (I think I've heard of that happening before). Might be one to take up with the dealer so you can test drive another Superb to see if they feel the same to you, and/or check your vehicle for faults / PDI omissions.

The ride on my car was simply appalling when I first had it but that was due to the suspension blocks being left in - on one side only!  

Once removed there here was an obvious improvement and on good roads the ride is excellent but the porpoise effect remains and there is too much bounce other than when in sport mode when the ride is simply too harsh.

In terms of seat comfort, general quality, and appointments it is an excellent car representing fine value for money.  In terms of ride and handling it cannot hold a candle to the Mazda 6 I owned for ten years before.  I knew the Skoda would not match in this area but think the Sportline would have run it much closer, had it been available when I ordered mine.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your posts / thoughts re. the damper problem.   No, I don't live in Sussex but Mid - Wales and used to drive an oliomatic Citroen which was far better.   Interesting comment from someone re. Skoda still using 2015 spec dampers from Passats.   This really answers the nub of the problem.   Using OLD STOCK items and to hell with customers.  

I have briefly tried a DCC car over one poor road and it was a bit better.   The ONLY REMEDY as I see it is fitting aftermarket good quality Koni or Bilstein dampers which will probably cost some £800 odd fitted.   Have not contacted those companies yet to see if they offer a dedicated damper for Superb's, but perhaps if a number of owners concurring with me enquire then a decent solution can be found.   

At least with basic suspension fitted it has got to be easier/cheaper upgrading to appropriate Koni/Bilstein/etc than if you have DCC. Many Octavii owners have changed theirs and I have only read good things from the change.

I was interested to see that @RichardHH is unhappy with the damping set up on the Superb 3. From reading these fora some people seem to like the ride, some do not. I think its a question of expectation and what you are used to. For myself I like the ride of my L&K 190 D on 19 inch wheels and use the DCC in its normal setting for general driving. I do use the sport setting if I am driving narrow and winding roads where the extra stiffness is useful to keep better control.

A road test by EVO magazine some time ago made the following comment, "Ride and Handling: Precise cornering characteristics and impressive body control don't harm the Superb's excellent ride".  EVO did accept that the car was in fact a better cruiser than a B-road thriller.

Personally, I would not buy the car if its suspension was much stiffer and, if I wanted a a car that was more orientated towards handling rather than comfort, I would probably have bought a sporty version of the Octavia. Having said all that I suspect that a new set of sport dampers would stiffen the car up quite a bit and may solve the problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Caspian said:

don't harm the Superb's excellent ride

maibe you have won in lottery or can't hear cause TDI :)
my dealer(and VW's too) can hear rattles, but have instructions from producer how to reject
read:
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/414829-suspension-rattle-dull-thud-over-uneven-surfaces/?tab=comments#comment-4886034