Fan/air con/heater -rheostat blown?

Afternoon all. Long time since my last post! In fact my wife should now be writing this as she owns the Skoda following my purchase of a mark 1 TT. Better not call her Ted1888 though!!

Wondering if a fellow member can help out.

This is now our second Skoda where we've suffered with the fan/blower working max or not at all. When I last looked into this with the Fabia, cause was blown rheostat. As we were selling the Fabia, we didn't get it fixed, but advised the buyer of the problem.

Same thing has now happened with the Rapid Spaceback which is 9 months outside warranty!

I know it's the rheostat and the local garage (Indie) have said they normally replace the motor unit as well because rheostat replacement without a new motor often results in the car having to go back in again for another rheostat and this time, the motor as well.

Just wondering if anyone who has been through the same thing can help out. Is it crucial to have the fan motor replaced now or is it a risk worth taking?

We're probably talking £150 for the rheostat and about double if we have the motor done as well. We're not penny pinching - just not wanting to throw cash away if we don't need to. 

many thanks

Edited by ted1888

There is no need to change the motor ! Just remove the glovebox (disconnect 3 wires) and change the resistor pack which is hidden top right and clean the pollen filter which you can see is exposed, it then should work OK. Cheers Stuart