Rapid broken into - Amundsen Stolen

Scumbags

went to the car this morning only to find a gaping hole where the Amundsen used to be. They've also had the log book and owners manual away along with a DABmotion DIgital radio box from under the driver's seat. They had a good rummage it the boot too and took some spare headlight bulbs, but left the wheel and jack.

called police, insurance etc. Not a great way to spend a day in the summer holidays.

im watching Facebook marketplace and eBay. Watch out for great offers on (stolen) head units!

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear this. My daughter just lost her satnav to some random robber walking back from town past her car..  The busted window was the greater inconvenience to losing a £50 TomTom though.

Isn't Amundsen coded to the car though - could this be a completely pointless crime?

Mu guess is its either  a stupid drug fuelled idiot who'll try to flog it for a tenner to buy his next fix, or someone who is sussed up enough to know how to re-code the unit! I have heard in the past, stupid manufacturers printing the code on the back of coded units... Great theft prevention that! I assume its meant to be removed by the dealer at pre-inspection time, after copying it down or coding for the first time/setting a new code prior to sale!

Not wishing to sound unsympathetic though but how silly do you now feel, leaving the log book INSIDE the car? I think by log book, you mean the registration document. If the car was taken, it could easily have been re-asigned to a new owner! You may have meant the service schedule/log... Hope so!

I recently heard someone had there Mercedes stolen by a would-be buyer... They got the owner to start the car, had a small drive and inspection etc. Said they were looking at anther but would let the seller know. Came back a little later and, using a phone and a little software, somehow scanned the car and opened it and drove off in it. The owner found out about half an hour later when he went to go out! The Sad bit there, the weird bit, he only had the rest of that day left on his insurance so in went the claim/police report etc. The insurance company must have been very suspicious!

My daughter once had a phone stolen after forgetting it. Cheap old piece of junk but free to whoever smashed the window first! The window repair guy said they get that all the time and even have idiots smash expensive glass to gain access for a few coins left on display! We are talking pence here, not pounds!!!

• Like 1

Happened on the driveway and by logbook I do mean the service schedule and owners manual only.

police coming shortly to take description of property - apparently some scumbag was arrested near by last night for a similar crime and they want to search his/her address.

35 minutes ago, Robjon said:

Sorry to hear this.  Hope police have caught the scumbag responsible.

Did he/she do much damage breaking into your car?

Strangely, no damage. Could swear I locked it as I habitually do but they is no sign that they forced their way in.

its been dusted for prints but they only found a glove mark.

we soon realised the cheeky scumbag has stolen my grip gloves that I keep with the spare wheel and clearly decided to use them for the rest of the burglary.

fuming.

Well for insurance purposes, it was definitely locked ;)

My FIL forgot to lock his front door before bed.  2 lads tried the door, walked in, picked up keys to the Merc, passed through the kitchen to the Garage (which even had a labour saving electric door) and away to race it up and down the beach like on TG of old.

FIL didn't tell Insurance about front door, and they paid up for all the repairs on the car.

I went into Asda 2 days ago, when I returned my car alarm was sounding. Suddenly realised I'd left my phone in there. It triggers the alarm if left in the car, a safety feature, not!

Apparently the MX-5 Mk3 has the alarm gubbins in the centre console, if the phone is left in and the alarm is set it triggers after 5 mins. Great feature (not really) but I wonder if anyone would attempt to get the phone whilst in the alarm state?

The weird thing? The radio still plays and the Bluetooth phone still works - I can access all functions (except nav) via display in the instrument binnacle and via the stalk buttons.

just proves how useless an item the screen is on it's own.

IMG_2835.JPG

11 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Oh, so the clever arse only stole the screen then? That's a cheaper fix. Just pick up a screen from Ebay and fit it yourself.

Would it not be a touch suspicious if someone was selling just the screen on fleabay or Facebook marketplace nearby?

So, the car goes to the repairers next week - when booking it in the garage told me to ensure the locking wheel nut key is given to them...

so the scumbags had the locking wheel nut key away from the boot too. Told the insurers and the they said they'll change the locking nuts too as they are insecure (standard to change all locks after a theft apparently) and may even necessitate replacing the wheels too!

i have a very small insurance excess and prettty good cover it would seem...

• Like 1

That's tough on you, scumbags. 

Why change the locks?

Why would the alloys need changing, that's of course if there's no damage to them?

It's upsetting to have this happen, I can't believe my neighbour left his car unlocked one night, for some reason the police were all over it next day. Door to door enquiries, leaflets through doors, have you seen anything.  It was a crappy old Fiesta and all he had stolen were some worthless items, old tools and a CD WTF...

It's upsetting to have this happen, I can't believe my neighbour left his car unlocked one night, for some reason the police were all over it next day. Door to door enquiries, leaflets through doors, have you seen anything.  It was a crappy old Fiesta and all he had stolen were some worthless items, old tools and a CD WTF...

Perhaps he wears a blue serge uniform!

Get away with you. 

They all wear Hi-vis, fat bellys and scruffy goatees these days.

I don't know, coppers these days, cant even be arsed to shave before work...

In my day, etc. moan, whine...

God, I've not even been retired 2 months yet!

Edited by camelspyyder

17 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

You need to get out more   ;)

I wish.

I've been waiting in for the "emergency plumber" since 12:12 hours...YESTERDAY!

2 hour service my 4r5e!

No sign of Mr bloody Winston Wolfe!

Oh no! Here I go again...

Need a lie down I think.