Elegance TDi went into limp mode today :-(

This afternoon my 02 Octavia TDi estate went into what I think is called 'limp mode' at 3000 revs. Quite a shock when it happened. I read about this before I bought the Octavia (July last year) so am kicking myself a bit - I was hoping it wouldn't happen to mine! 5 minutes after I got home, I went out again for a test drive and the problem had gone away, for now anyway.

Has anyone got any advice?

I know virutally nothing about the insides of a car (I struggle just changing a bulb). The car has done 103k miles, is out of warranty, was not bought from a Skoda dealer. I generally drive 15 miles to work and 15 miles home again every day (average speed tends to be 30-40 mph), and on average a 100 mile (mostly motorway) trip every month. However I always make a point of flooring the accelerator in 2nd gear at least once a day to get the revs up and burn off any soot or whatever it is that builds up on diesels, but most of the time I drive economically. It's due for a service I think, but I wasn't planning to take it to a Skoda garage as they are way too expensive.

Is there anything obvious and easy I can check myself? Is there any chance that driving around at higher revs would cure the problem? I do have VAG-COM (not that I really know how to use it properly) - would that help in any way (I haven't check it yet)? Am I going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a Skoda dealer? I've already had to spend

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble with your octy - have a look at these links, i was having similar trouble the week before xmas. mine seems to have fixed its self before i got to the bottom of it, i suspect sticking turbo vanes that have now freed up. It is still ok at the moment. Dealer had told me i needed new turbo when i took it for diagnostic !!! check yours with vag-com. Also there can be a few things that can give ' failed tubo/ overboost' type symptoms without it being the turbo.. i.e vacum hoses and mass air flow sensor. etc

have a look at these anyway just incase there is anything that may help.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/ask-t...ken-turbo.html

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/ask-t...-tdi-help.html

While you are waiting for more advice, how about using VAG-COM to check if any DTCs (error codes) have been logged?

Here are the VAG-COM results from doing an 'auto-scan' (I think there means there is no error loged). Does this help?

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 1U - Skoda Octavia

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,35,46,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 038 906 012 CL

Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 3359

Coding: 00002

Shop #: WSC 31480

TMBGP21U322632604 SKZ7Z0A1364099

No fault code found.

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1C0 907 379 K

Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103

Coding: 0021505

No fault code found.

Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1U1 907 044 A

Component: CLIMATRONIC C 2.0.0

Coding: 11000

No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1U0 920 911 F

Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V07

Coding: 23422

Shop #: WSC 25031

No fault code found.

Address 19 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 6N0 909 901

Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001

Coding: 00006

No fault code found.

Address 46 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1C0 959 799 B

Component: 4Q Komfortger

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 038 906 012 CL

Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 3359

Coding: 00002

No fault code found.

That actually looks like good news as an overboost fault hasn't been logged. In my experience when the car runs as though the turbo isn't working and there are no faults logged then the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is usually the cause.

You can buy an exchange one for around

Thanks for the info fordfan.

I'll check again next time it happens to see if a fault has been logged, to make sure.

I'm a bit of a novice; do have any idea how I would take VAG-COM readings to check whether there is a problem with the MAF or not, apart from running the 'auto-scan' next time it goes into limp mode?

I've also no idea how to take out the MAF. Aren't there likely to be side effects to doing this, otherwise what good is the MAF in the first place (not that I've any idea what it does)?

Thanks in advance :-)

Luckily it seems to have gone away for the time being. It was ok Sunday and today (Monday) so fingers crossed. I guess if it gets worse then I'll have to take it to a Skoda garage and ask them to check the MAF and hope it doesn't cost too much.

By the way your links didn't work octywagon.