Alloy wheel cleaner again?

mdk1

What seems to be a good cleaner at the moment?

market seems to be awash with Devils blood/ Dragonsbreath and all sorts of names all with YouTube videos to show how good they are.

i normally tend to buy Maguires on a 3 for 2 in halfords,

just thought I ought to try something different.

Thanks

If the Meguiars stuff works well for you, why change it? I don't use wheel cleaner. When the car had the ceramic coating, he did the wheels as well. He told me any tar spots etc just dab off with tar cleaner, don't spray it. Everytime I clean the wheels they come up spotless and then a quick rub over with the recommended detailer, which is Carpro reload....I think.

I use Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. 

It can be diluted down from neat for heavy soiling to 5:1 for light soiling. 

If I want to wheel clean and remove brake dust. I use Bilt Hamber Autowheels which is a wheel cleaner and fallout remover in one (though it itself is a wheel cleaner, it's best to get off as much dirt beforehand so the fallout remover can do it's job). 

B7MaVuTl.jpg

Spray on, allow to dwell, then agitate with whatever wheel brushes you have and rinse. It's the same for both. 

VU8FIuyl.jpg

• Like 1

Good Evening, Chaps.

Hope you are all well.

Just taken delivery of some `Auto-Wheel`

Never used it before but heard good things.

Having just read the instructions on the back...it warns about not getting it anywhere other than the wheel itself and to not to spray the plastic centre caps.

Is that really the case?

Do I need to keep it from the tyres? if so how?

Do I really need to force out the centre caps before I proceed?

Thinking I should have stuck to what I used before!

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks.

Mike.

21 minutes ago, mandp said:

Good Evening, Chaps.

Hope you are all well.

Just taken delivery of some `Auto-Wheel`

Never used it before but heard good things.

Having just read the instructions on the back...it warns about not getting it anywhere other than the wheel itself and to not to spray the plastic centre caps.

Is that really the case?

Do I need to keep it from the tyres? if so how?

Do I really need to force out the centre caps before I proceed?

Thinking I should have stuck to what I used before!

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks.

Mike.

I've used it for years with no issue. 

Because of the higher price compared to Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner I use it when I need fallout remover but if I'm honest also when I'm in a hurry and the wheels are mostly soiled with brakedust and traffic film rather than dirt.

I spray all over, on the spokes, wheel centres, edges where it meets the tyres, etc... with no issues at all. 

You should make sure you fully rinse it as some of the now purple water can accumulate behind the wheel centre and some spokes and drip out when your not aware (think like car mirror dribbles when you know you've got it all out, still a dribble or two will appear). So thoroughly rinse the wheel moving the spray around. As you should be doing the wheels first it's not a real issue and you be around that area from time to time washing and rinsing the car body. 

But as I say, I've not had any issues even with alloy wheels with damaged clearcote, painted, etc... and I've used it for years

Just spray, let dwell, agitate if necessary and then thoroughly rinse.   

1 hour ago, mandp said:

Thank you, Sir.

That's very very helpful.

I'll give it a bash soon.

Regards

Mike.

No worries. Auto Smart came up with Red7 which was close, but not as good cleaning action or brakedust remover. So while it was cheaper, you needed to use more of it. I've tried a few similar products to Auto Wheels but I've yet to find one to beat it. 

Though not stated as suitable I've used it on car paint in place of Korrosol (Bilt Hambers version of CarPro Iron-X) and it's not damaged or affected the paintwork either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside. My car had it's first clean for three weeks on Friday. The wheels were absolutely filthy black. We've also had the roads recently re-chipped and tarred and the car and wheels were covered in tar spots. I feared the worst. However, due to the ceramic coating on car and wheels when it was new, everything came off with the jet wash and snow foam. Absolutely brilliant. it must have saved me about an hour and half, not having to de-tar. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm using the Wo-Wo cleaner which I find an excellent product although I think it has maybe been reformulated as the new photos show it pink whilst mines is clear ...

I use it along with one of the stiff wheel cleaning brushes purchased from Fraser and it certainly does a great job.. When I purchased it at first it did leave some stubborn marks which the fallout removed from Chemical Guys dealt with and ever since then the Wo-Wo is all I've needed to use ... I did coat them with some of his Cystal Sealant which has maybe helped though. 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are the products above suitable for my Pegasus anthracite wheels? Anything better out there for these wheels? And can you recommend a good sealant to use afterwards? I have Fusso99 dark for example - could I just use that? Many thanks.

Still BH Auto-Wheel for me, if they need a proper going over. If not and a normal maintenance wash, just a standard bodywork shampoo in the wheel bucket will suffice. 

And yep, Fusso on the wheels for protection will do nicely B)

• Thanks 1