Cambelt tensioner failure x2

Afternoon all. 

Have a 2005 1.9 tdi BKC Octavia. Must be the unluckiest owner going? 

Back February, engine was replaced, it was tired, burning oil and headgasket had failed at 186k miles. Sourced new engine, fitted new cambelt kit ( Dayco ) and water pump ( FAI ) and off I trotted. 

Fast foward to now... 9k miles/6 months later, car loses hideous amounts of power and is clattering like bad. Pulled timing belt cover off as there were no fault codes on vcds or other code reader, found the tensioner arrow pointing towards the front of the car and belt slacker than a wizards sleeve. Found the spring has failed and the adjuster on the front completely shagged, 

New cambelt kit, again a Dayco kit and the same problem has presented itself AGAIN 500 miles later. Motorfactors has kindly offered to change it for a Gates kit...

Has anyone else suffered with timing belt tensioner failures? Jerry can and a match is coming to mind at the moment! 

4 hours ago, Toms1989 said:

Afternoon all. 

Have a 2005 1.9 tdi BKC Octavia. Must be the unluckiest owner going? 

Back February, engine was replaced, it was tired, burning oil and headgasket had failed at 186k miles. Sourced new engine, fitted new cambelt kit ( Dayco ) and water pump ( FAI ) and off I trotted. 

Fast foward to now... 9k miles/6 months later, car loses hideous amounts of power and is clattering like bad. Pulled timing belt cover off as there were no fault codes on vcds or other code reader, found the tensioner arrow pointing towards the front of the car and belt slacker than a wizards sleeve. Found the spring has failed and the adjuster on the front completely shagged, 

New cambelt kit, again a Dayco kit and the same problem has presented itself AGAIN 500 miles later. Motorfactors has kindly offered to change it for a Gates kit...

Has anyone else suffered with timing belt tensioner failures? Jerry can and a match is coming to mind at the moment! 

Got this on an MG ZR amongst other problems, Dayco tensioner fitted, although it's a K series petrol engine rather then a VW tdi. Going to fit a power grip or gates kit when i rebuild the engine. It's also only covered about 1500 miles since i replaced the cambelt.

Edited by Ju1ian1001
spelling