Hi all, 

I recently got my hands on a T reg Felicia. I am planning on installing a small sub and some more speakers, I love my music. 

My first step is going to be to swap around my stereo to one that has a bluetooth connection. I was thinking of purchasing the Sony DSX-A400BT. 

The Felicia currently has her original stereo and I was wondering what wiring I am going to need to be able to connect the new stereo in, has anyone done this swap or a similar one before / know how to? 

I have absolutely no clue on wiring or anything like that what so ever so any help would be fantastic. 

Cheers. 

From what I recall, the felicia has ISO connectors in it, so the wiring is presented in a fairly standard manner. So, in theory, anything else with ISO connectors should just be plug and play. Amp/sub connections are usually made with RCA connectors which are not part of the ISO connection, but still dead easy to do.

The Sony DSX-A4000BT appears to come without iSO connectors (unusual in this day and age). You can take one or two routes to this:

1) Get an ISO to Sony loom (easiest, as you ignore the one that comes with the head-unit and just use the new one)

-or-

2) Get a wires to ISO connector and make the connections yourself. (A dozen or so butt connectors and a crimp tool too. These come in handy anyway.) As long as you follow the colour coding, there should be no problems. :) If you're going to venture in to stereo setup and electrics, this would be a good "way in" to start with.

The A4000BT has RCAs to connect to amps, so future upgrades shouldn't be an issue. Sony is reasonable kit, and fairly easy to setup and play with. However - no CD drive.

When you get to the sub bit, make sure it's matched properly - plenty of info on YouTube as to how this is done. I matched mine and it sounds quite good and does do loud without distortion too, when listening to Pink Floyd the need rises.

Remember that cars are not really designed with high fidelity reproduction in mind, and a cheaply made Czech car is far from ideal, unless you're going to spend mega-bucks.

Speakers will be important, as those 20-year old ones will be happily looking forward to retirement now. Plenty of options that will fit in the OEM grilles - if you want to keep the OE looks. (There are those who do.) Thinking of OE, don't expect much for a Skoda tape-player, there are those who believe they are worth mega-bucks, and in some cases (other cars) they can be (I watched a BMW E36 tape-player change hands for £150 not so long ago) but Skoda ones, well, try it, you may get lucky, one of the purists might think it's worth saving.

If you're going to play with the setup, remember that driving produces road-noise etc, and parked up there'll be no noise.

When drilling or cutting, the best advice is:

Measure twice - cut once.

Take your time - it's not a race.

@RainbowFire

According to your expert advice, 1999Felicia will experiment two short circuits. As for starting to learn about wiring with a car radio installation using this forum, you're having too high expectations. Every little operation you have described so nonchalant will prove to be very difficult in practice. He will end up either paying a more experienced person to do the job for him or you will face a lot of questions from him.