car beeps 3 times when turning engine off

Hello, I have this strange problem that started happening a few days ago. I drive a Skoda Octavia mk1 2.0 Petrol from 2002. Every time I turn the engine off (no matter if it's warm or cold) I hear 3 beeps from the dash, no lights from the instrument cluster, and it doesn't beep when I start the engine. I get the usual lights on the cluster when I turn the car on then they go away. I tried turning the radio off to see if it comes from there and that is not the case. Leaving headlights on or off doesn't make any difference. The beeps are quick and always 3 beeps. It is a different tone than when you leave lights on and remove the key. Also when I turn the key to ACC and power and back to off it doesn't beep. Only when the engine is started and turned off. If I leave the key in the lock after turning the engine off it still beeps. I just want to know if its something important and critical. Thanks in advance.

45 minutes ago, kentphil1 said:

Is the service indicator showing service due?.

Um no, the LCD displays stay the same. I had a "Service" warning flashing but I cleared it so there is nothing now.

31 minutes ago, JCP said:

I am not sure but I think it may be a low battery voltage warning. How old is the battery and does charging the battery make the problem go away?

Well the battery is fairly new, the car starts fast (not the usual slow startup when battery is low). Even after running a while, when the battery is charged it still beeps. I can check the voltage with a multimeter, but I don't think its the battery.

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@zejdkoco1 - I've never heard that turn-off bleep before. I did notice that your tachometer appears to be FUBAR though, since the needle is at the wrong end of the scale.

Yeah, I've been trying to fix the tach but it appears the needle mechanism (servo motor) is dead, and it isn't worth the fuss and money. You can always listen to the engine :P

Hi guys, if someone finds this thread, I have found the cause of the beeping and feel kinda stupid. I have an LPG conversion on the car and the little module inside the car was beeping to inform me to change the LPG fuel filter. It has nothing to do with the car itself. I guess you learn on your own mistakes. There is no way you will experience this unless you have the exact LPG kit.

• Like 2