Uprated Spark Plugs

May want to review this fairly recent thread. There is quite a lot of info in there. It is focused mainly on a standard engine, oem equivalent / genuine replacement scenario.

However, at stage 2 comments generally indicate a lot of participants running standard heat rating plugs. The advice of your engine tuner is also worthwhile for their experience and recommendation.

If you were worried about higher boost level and pre-ignition you could go one heat grade colder. Your removed plugs may give some signs of overheating if that is the case.

I'm sure you're aware but for the  benefit of anyone who reviews this and isn't:   Heat ratings for different plug manufactures will be a different numeric value even for the equivalent heat rating. Also, some use a higher number for a colder plug, others run the other way around.

Standard engine plug rating for EA888 series 2.0 CCZA engine for NGK is 7 and Bosch 5.

If you concur with the discussion around the lower resistance = bigger spark / less stress on ignition coils,  then NGK PFR7S8EG maybe your best friend (or a heat rating lower per earlier comments).

Edited by TheClient
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this. Plenty to think about. All the tuning was done before I owned it by Shark. It's run really well the last 2 years or so and was tempted to change as a precaution. But then if it's running fine I should leave it and buy them to have to hand just in case