Traffic Sign Recognition

Theo67

From people's experience what signs can I expect to see reported by this system?

The manual says speed signs and others in the database, so far I have seen the speed limit signs only.

I thought I may have seen a no entry, end of limit and other warnings shown but they did not appear.

There's no point in showing you there's an end of limit sign, the only useful thing to know is "what's the current speed limit". The system works, it's surprisingly good. Detects town signs, town end signs and end of speed limit signs. I think it also pulls in some speed limit data from the navigation but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, ionelmc said:

There's no point in showing you there's an end of limit sign, the only useful thing to know is "what's the current speed limit". The system works, it's surprisingly good. Detects town signs, town end signs and end of speed limit signs. I think it also pulls in some speed limit data from the navigation but I'm not sure.

It certainly appears to, was driving around without the Maps SD card (Amundsen) as the dealer forgot to give it to me. It gave some sort of restricted message and no speed limit, usually at the start of the journey where there may not have been road signs, since inserting the SD Card these messages have disappeared and speed limit is displayed.

Edit: Also not sure but today it seemed to recognise roadworks signs, didn't display a roadworks sign or anything but normally a 100km zone it reduced to a 50Km zone (no speed signs at the roadworks), could be wrong as it was something I was not monitoring just noticed the change.

Edited by MaddicIrl
Additional info

I'm begining to think that the TSR is taken from the Sat Nav display and the camera then shown in Maxi Dot. There is a spot near us there the Traffic sign (National Speedlimit sign to the road in question ) is so dirty the TRS cannot pick it up so the Maxi Dot display is showing 30 when the road is 60. If you look at the sat nav display it also shows 30 ( should be 60 ). Once the next readable sign shown up all goes back to normal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'm begining to think that the TSR is taken from the Sat Nav display and the camera then shown in Maxi Dot. There is a spot near us there the Traffic sign (National Speedlimit sign to the road in question ) is so dirty the TRS cannot pick it up so the Maxi Dot display is showing 30 when the road is 60. If you look at the sat nav display it also shows 30 ( should be 60 ). Once the next readable sign shown up all goes back to normal. 

You may have a point.  I was driving down to Cambridge last night and noticed the previous 50mph zone at Elkesley on the A1 is now national speed limit (well a little bit is still a 50) and despite me clear as day seeing a national speed limit sign on the left of the road my TSR display switched to '50'.  Oddly I did knock off my ACC when I seen this on the dash but then realized there was another national speed limit sign further on so the TSR was incorrect.  

It uses the navigation system as the baseline data and varies it according to what the camera sees.  Mine shows very little other than speed limits unless there is a trailer attached apparently.  It certainly doesn't hold a store of all the UK signs and frequently misses signs if they are obstructed by trees.  The map speed database is dreadful - as it is on all the databases I use.  One road around me flags as a 30 in one direction and a 40 in the other!  It has only ever been a 30 since it was built twenty years ago.

It does appear to use both the camera and sat nav for speed limits.

Coming home tonight, I came out of a sign posted 30 into a 40, these were both shown in the display, the 40 is only a recent change. When I came out of the 40, the display changed to 60, however there were no signs to reflect this change on the road.

Has anyone seen anything other than speed limits displayed by system?

20 minutes ago, Coops said:

What like signs for pubs or Mcdonalds? 

That would be nice but I was thinking a bit more practically, such as Give Way, No Entry etc

2 minutes ago, Theo67 said:

That would be nice but I was thinking a bit more practically, such as Give Way, No Entry etc

Yeah but that's boring! 

Driving needs to be more fun. 

System could read QR codes and display adverts on the maxi dot or columbus.