AFS headlamp problem - does a new module need coding?

Hi,

I've just bought a facelift superb estate which has a fault on the AFS headlamp system.    Looking under the bonnet at the drivers side headlamp there is what looks like a controller box hanging off the side of the headlamp.

This box has two clips on one end and looks like it ought to have a clip on the other end but its broken off.   There is a connector and cables running to the controller.

I'm taking a wild guess here but this might be the problem ;)  

Presumably water has got into the controller or the headlamp unit.   The lights work fine but only point straight forward (not sure if the self levelling is working)  so I'm hoping that the issue is just the controller and that the headlamp is fine. 

I'm going to need a replacement clip/cover anyway (waiting for the local dealer to call me back).

The controller is a Hella part and googling the hella part number suggests that the same controller is used on various VAG cars with different VAG part numbers.

Does anyone know if I can just put in a new controller or does the controller need to be keyed to the car?

thanks

A picture would probably help.

You'll probably need to perform the basic settings once you've repaired/replaced any damaged parts. This will need VCDS or similar to perform so if anything does need coding, it can be done at the same time.

Yup, that looks like an AFS slave.

I believe that it's not something you can code directly, instead when the AFS master is coded it will automatically code the AFS slaves. You'd still need to run through the basic settings after replacement to make sure the headlight alignment was correct.

It's always worth doing an autoscan before starting a repair to make sure you have a record.

You might find a local member with VCDS that's happy to help :)

I believe that AFS only works if the headlight switch is in the "auto" position. The headlights should do a dance too when the ignition is first turned on and it's dark enough for the auto lights to come on.