Ticking noise pronounced by steering input

vRSAnt

No fault codes ( besides my long standing "flap" one)

Car has a very light "ticking" noise you can't really hear from cold initially, to differentiate much from normal engine noise.

However after a journey stop and then feed steering input in, its a much more pronounces a ticking noise, almost clicking as you feed input to the steering and becomes noticeable?

Origin of sounds like its more higher up though but not normally doing it while engine is running and left without any input from steering.

Doesn't sound like it coming from anywhere near suspension/roadwheels, anyone had anything like this ?

Note I had cambelt and pump done more recently than I realised, about 115k at unit8 around 2014 if it matters. Local dealer was probing me about belt changes and I forget I had it done more recently than I thought so not overdue based on original belt servicing at least ( they quoted 2 years, this is new to me)

They seem to suspect it maybe somewhat related to load ? Had me turn on aircon while feeding steering, to be honest its about as noisy whether its on or off, the main thing being steering.

Anyone help add if this is anything to be concerned with or one to ignore ? (paranoia of the dreaded turbo whine chocolate Borg Warner led me to get a turbo over 20k ago I don't even need lol 140K BW chocolate turbo still running (touch wood),

and even the dreaded "DMF noise of doom" has been in place since 80k and that hasn't gone either, is this just another one of these vehicle peculiarities with age and lesson to take some forum concerns with pinch of salt and just see if they become something worse rather than spend for sake of it).

For future reference, I believe this was the perfect part and perfect tool to remove without airgun too.

As far as I can tell no longer ticking but will need a journey out.

Seems the new one might spin both ways and the old one only spins one way, not sure what that means, I thought the broken ones spin both ways from what I heard ! Oh well.

It should totally lock up when driving one way and be able to slip in the other direction but they can be a little bit of resistance to them when they are new.

If its free in both directions it would never turn the alternator.

To be honest I will disregard the suggestion of it free spinning both ways, It wasn't my obersvation it was the neighbour who looked at it who lended me ring spanner to get the stubborn old one off.

Its definitely driving the alternator and I'm sure its quiter now so I've no concerns with it.

Edited by vRSAnt

The key thing is for £37 all my woes with the noise are now gone ! ( all I can hear now are the DMF if left neutral disengaged lol ).

Just serviced oil too so she must be pretty pleased I haven't totally given up on her despite having the Octy vRS as driveway buddies ;) Nothing better than that new oil feeling.

• Like 1