Skoda DX Sat Nav In A Superb - Major Help Please

James_N

Hi

My parents own a Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDI. Not so long ago we bought a sat nav off ebay and fitted it. Now we had problems getting the sat nav to tell us directions and give us instructions. We had to buy the ariel separatly from www.satnavsystems.com and it worked fine because it tracks the car fine just doesnt give us directions or voice guidance.

Now we took it to Skoda to try and have this fixed, and they said the sat nav needed to be "coded" to the car, which they apparently did, but it still wont give us directions or voice guidance. Skoda now say the unit is faulty.

But surely if the unit was faulty, it wouldn't track the car in the first place :confused: My dad is getting his hair off because its not working, and i think Skoda are just trying to fob us off because we didnt buy the unit direct from them (not like we would pay >£1000 for it anyway - incidently, i had the same problem with Honda - i bought an official Honda sat nav off ebay and got them to wire it up - it didnt work properly and now they have washed their hands of it because i didnt buy it off them)

So does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the sat nav? Im sure it cant be the wiring because if it was, surely it wouldnt show us the cars location on the map, and track where the car goes (it does this perfectly), and i think Skoda are talking crap when they say the unit needs to be coded to a specific car - if thats the case, how come satnavsystems.com can sell the units if they can only be coded to one specific car :confused:

Any help is much appriciated, before my dad goes mad. Hell i'll even pay £10 paypal to whoever comes up with a solution :)

Thanks.

/Edit - I should also add that something must be working right because the faster you go, the higher the radio volume gets, so that part of it works fine.

Hiya.. Ive fitted one of these to my fabia with no issues. Soooo, I can confirm no coding required.:thumbup:

Have you got the "plug n play" wiring loom that plugs straight into the existing wiring loom (ISO)? Or did you cut the wires?

Also, have u double checked the 'navigation audio' settings in case they are turned down? (Worth checking as I think mine was on 0/mute as default).

Also' date=' have u double checked the 'navigation audio' settings in case they are turned down? (Worth checking as I think mine was on 0/mute as default).[/quote']

I'll go and have a look now. I dont know how to use this Nav so it might take me 10 mins or so but i'll go look now :)

Well after faffing around, the volume was on loud. I set a route and the woman sais "your route is being calculated" and then "your route is calculated" but didnt say anything else. I pressed into and it said "not on digitalised road" but it showed the car on the map, and it was spot on.

As for the wiring, My mom isnt sure. she said that the sat nav didnt come with any wiring so i think my dad must of used the existing wiring thats in the car.

This may sound patronising - but are you using the Skoda maps CD? :confused:

The cd that came with the unit was a blatent copy, but it seems the cd is a skoda cd yes. Incase anyone is interested, This is the auction i won:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5847107645&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I set a route and the woman sais "your route is being calculated" and then "your route is calculated" but didnt say anything else.

Did you then start driving around? i.e she will only say something else when you are off route or there are directions to give. If you are stationary, she wont say anything else.

I pressed into and it said "not on digitalised road" but it showed the car on the map, and it was spot on.

Id say that it sounds like youve installed this just fine - because you have the audio (voice) and GPS (location). Ive never heard it say "not on digitalised road"... and I dont know what you mean by "pressed into".

I would hazard a guess that your CD is corrupt?

Did you then start driving around? i.e she will only say something else when you are off route or there are directions to give. If you are stationary, she wont say anything else.

I didn't because im uninsured on the car but my mom says even when driving around after that, no instructions are given.

and I dont know what you mean by "pressed into".

Sorry, i mean i pressed the INFO button, and thats when it said "not on digitalised road".

Trouble is, i dont have another skoda disc to test the sat nav with. but i would hazard a guess and say the disk is ok as the mas / roads and car tracking are all fine.

Guest Fabia 12v

i have this unit.... 'not on a digitlised road' means you are off road... do you live in say the country or have car quite distance from a major road.

other times it says not on a digitlised road is when ur destination is not bang on a road but perhaps a little off or down a track?

i have this unit.... 'not on a digitlised road' means you are off road... do you live in say the country or have car quite distance from a major road.

other times it says not on a digitlised road is when ur destination is not bang on a road but perhaps a little off or down a track?

apart from being parked half on the kerb and half off, nope, its on a road.

Unit will not work with just the standard radio plugs inserted.

There is another plug 26 pin IIRC thats needed to provide pulses to the NAVI unit that records wheel rotation. On an OE fitted unit this is provided from the ABS feeds. After fitments use a Gala pulse feed of 8 pulses per revolution - the unit has a setting to switch manualy between the 8 or 26 (might not be 26 pulses but its higher than 8) ppulse feed.

You will not get aunouncents because the navi does not think the car is moving!!! as it not getting any pulses to tell it the cars moving. All the gps ariel is providing is yout current location.

Suggest you get the plug and play wiring kit - that will solve your current issue you will also have lost steering wheel controls and on another note you will have noticed that FIS radio station/cd display by fitting the unit has now been lost and will stil not work when you fit the wiring kit. Your unit you have purchased will not be able to provide navigation instructions in the FIS panel when you start getting your voice guidance working in your vehicle as detailed.

A Skoda sourced disc is not required just the appropriate teleatlas disc for the unit

and on another note you will have noticed that FIS radio station/cd display by fitting the unit has now been lost and will stil not work when you fit the wiring kit. Your unit you have purchased will not be able to provide navigation instructions in the FIS panel when you start getting your voice guidance working in your vehicle as detailed.

I understand everything up untill the quoted point then im lost. FIS? FIS panel?

I understand everything up untill the quoted point then im lost. FIS? FIS panel?

Its the display unit between rev counter and speedo, it displays driver info such as handbrake on , refuel in the middle segment, top segment has the radio station info or track being played, bottom segment has on an Auto gear details.

When a Navigation unit is fitted (correcly and with appropriate navigation unit other related components and wiring)the middle segment will display turn details road info and countdown info to turns etc. The factory fitted units in Superbs have this FIS display operation for navigation.

As stopan1j says you will need the plug and play wiring loom, I have fitted a nav system in my Superb so can confirm this also.

One other thing - I would seriously suggest you purchase a genuine and original map disc - Despite having the correct wiring loom fitted, my nav system displayed exactly the same problems as you are describing. they were solved when I bought an original map disc to replace the copied one I was supplied with originaly, It seems that the data for some roads either gets corrupt or simply isn't included for some reason - despite actauly appearing on the screen some roads remain invisible to the route planning?? you might only find out that one day you need the nav to take you somewhere you haven't been before! - very frustrating.

And another problem you will have is that, depending on the sat nav unit's age and type (the seller does not give enough info to be sure) you may still not be able to use the steering wheel controls. On newer sat nav units these are worked off the seperate TMC unit (this is the unit that automatically picks up traffic info from Classic FM). So you will need to buy that as well.

I looked into putting one of these in my Superb a while ago and discovered it is simply not that easy. It needs either a professional fit or at least a good knowledge of what you are doing - and I certainly would not try it myself without full fitting instructions.

Suggest you may want to look at this site http://www.satnavsystems.com that will sell you all the leads you need - and you will see that you do need some additional leads.

One final point - sat navs will not actually speak to you unless you have plotted a route - have your parents done that and started driving on it. Also all sat navs have a "silent" button somewhere - it may be something as simple as pressing that. Do you have the full set of instructions to check?

I know this may sound harsh but I dont blame the dealer or Skoda for not wanting to know. You didn't buy it from them, you did not get it fitted by them and you bought it from ebay. You apparently did not use the correct leads when fitting it. It could be any age, in any condition and damaged by others. It could be not fitted properly, either in your car or in the previous one which could have damaged it. It also has a pirated software disc.

I am having difficulty understanding why you think that Skoda or the dealer owe you an obligation to fix it. If anybody owes you any obligation it is the person you bought it from.

Well i'm in the process of buying the wiring and hopefully this will fix it. I'll probably get a genuine sat nav disc at some point but the priority is actually getting the unit working.

Appriciate the help guys :)