Considering A Citigo

AtlanticSpan

Hello everyone,

I came across this wonderful forum and thought I would ask for your advise as a prospective Skoda owner. I have always owned VW's but for reason best left unmentioned ( as I don't wish to be sued), I am seriously considering buying a Skoda Citigo. I have always driven Golfs or Polos,but I am simply not doing the miles to warrant owning  such cars these days. Also, I don't know whether it is as a consequence of getting older,but I simply don't wish to own cars overburdened with electronic wizardry. I am tech savvy,but I think there is something very honest about a car with four wheels an engine and little else. 

I did look at the VW Up!, but I think the Citigo is actually a more attractive looking car.  I also looked at the Hyundai i10 but again I was drawn to the Citigo; Perhaps it has more character?

Anyway,I would like to ask owners of this fabulous little car whether there are any issues I should be aware of? I have read for instance that gearboxes can be a bit of an achilles heel,also I understand that 'misting up' is an issue.

I would be very grateful for your 'real world' views of owning this car.

Thank you in advance

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I think you’re making a wise move getting a Citigo, I have only  owned mine for just a few weeks having previously had a Skoda Rapid and Fabia VRS.  before those I had a number of small cars, Suzukis, Hyundai’s, and  most recently at Toyota Aygo. The Citigo  is far better than any of the small car I’ve ever owned, it is more refined, rides better, handles better and is by far the most economical car I’ve ever owned.  it has really exceeded my expectations in virtually every way, as for problems I have so far none to report, other than the seatbelt does not fit me too well, but that’s just  me  and no fault of the car. I have the Greentech 60  which has the benefit of being exempt from Road Tax  and is very well specified having  Cruise control, heated seats and rear parking sensors, I consider it to be the best value city car around, I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

Edited by Fitzwilliam
  • Like 1

In my Citigo I’ve had no real problems, only the odd warranty claim (side repeaters full of water). The clutch is fine, smooth transition of gears. Like @Fitzwilliam says, it’s got to be the best city car of its class, and it is actually rated the top in one of the ratings I saw recently (carwow I think?). Compared to a Honda Civic (I know it’s not the same size but still...), I’ve noticed the Citigo is better at demisting (getting the AC upto temperature is a lot quicker). However the Civic is better at cooling down the cabin than the Citigo but that’s not too bad. 

It also has lots of power for a little 1L 3 cylinder engine.  

• Like 1

I don't think you can go far wrong with an Up, Citigo or Mii but you'll probably find the Citigo is the cheapest.

I've had my 2013/63 Sport Version for a while now and cannot fault it. Cheap to run, cheap to insure and cheap to make my own. I went from owning two VW Fox's to an MG3 before coming back to the Citigo and haven't looked back. Despite being vertically gifted at 6ft5, it's incredibly comfortable and easy to find a good driving position.

It's well worth taking one for a test drive and look at late 2016/17 models as some come with the 2017 dash at a much cheaper price...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708128267171

• Like 1

all I would say is take one on an extended test drive. I'm getting over 70mpg from mine on my daily commute, with tax costing me £1.50 a month it's crazy cheap to run.

I will be replacing mine when my three year PCP is up, I want something with more doors, better bluetooth media streaming, DAB, heated mirrors and a few more creature comforts along with a little more power.

• Like 1

I went for the Mii because it was local and top of the range and sub £5500 for a 15 plate.  But the Citigo is rated (I believe) top of the trio because of styling and price. 

I would strongly suggest a test drive and can confidently say you'll be amazed. I am long in the tooth and have owned so many cars from mini to luxury and this little car is right up there with the best. If you can do without the bells and whistles you can't go wrong with the Citigo/Mii/ Up.

Harry

1 hour ago, horkin said:

I went for the Mii because it was local and top of the range and sub £5500 for a 15 plate.  But the Citigo is rated (I believe) top of the trio because of styling and price. 

I would strongly suggest a test drive and can confidently say you'll be amazed. I am long in the tooth and have owned so many cars from mini to luxury and this little car is right up there with the best. If you can do without the bells and whistles you can't go wrong with the Citigo/Mii/ Up.

Harry

That’s a good price for a 15 plate, I paid that much for my 14 plate although it was spec’d up to the hilt and had only done 12,000 miles, after just over 3 weeks of ownership it still continues to amaze me on a daily basis particularly the fuel economy, since I last filled the tank I’ve done about 400 miles and the average mpg on the trip computer is showing 58.5mpg for mainly short trips and town driving with just a little out of town stuff, what’s more it’s so refined and  unfussed, even when you give it the beans and really rev it, it just never feels strained, brilliant little car.

39 minutes ago, Fitzwilliam said:

That’s a good price for a 15 plate, I paid that much for my 14 plate although it was spec’d up to the hilt and had only done 12,000 miles, after just over 3 weeks of ownership it still continues to amaze me on a daily basis particularly the fuel economy, since I last filled the tank I’ve done about 400 miles and the average mpg on the trip computer is showing 58.5mpg for mainly short trips and town driving with just a little out of town stuff, what’s more it’s so refined and  unfussed, even when you give it the beans and really rev it, it just never feels strained, brilliant little car.

Yes mine is the Mii Mango which has nice half "leather" seats  Sat Nav and 74hp engine. It had done over 25K but was one lady owner, well looked after so I went for it. Had it about 6 months and the best drive I've had was when I went up to Scotland Moray Firth area and covered 1200 miles in the week. Very comfortable and relaxed on the motorway for such a small car.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this party, but just to add that we picked up a 14 plate Citigo SE this summer for my nicer half, and we've found it to be an excellent little car. It's extremely good on fuel and road tax, and considering its size, is remarkably spacious and comfortable. The 3 cylinder engine is very quiet, and as has been pointed out above, the car holds its own surprisingly well on the motorway. I'd go for it!

• Like 1