2010 Fabia 2 HID Kit

nia573

Ive been thinking of fitting a HID kit to my fabia. Ive done a search & read some how to's etc & I just want to confirm Im buying the correct kit.

I emailed aet online (aka london colour whos kits ive heard are good quality & have a 2 year guarantee) & they recommended this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-ERROR-FREE-35W-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H8-H9-H11-HB3-HB4-/370440024720?

Is this the one to get? I realise some of the how to's were made in 2010 & the kits have been developed since then

They said I need the canbus version above, & not this version which had been mentioned in one of the guides I saw;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-conversion-H7-KIT-FOR-VW-PASSAT-04-09-NEW-/230373448204?hash=item35a353da0c:m:mYBDy9c_kQ-TdbBSEpL02ew

Is it best to just modify the original bulb holder clips (Ive heard that the aftermarket cut-out ones are poor quality & dont fit properly) & any pics of your final installations would be appreciated as some of the guides have the photos missing because of the photobucket links have been lost)

Cheers for any help & advice 

Ok cheers Ill have another search.

Was just wondering which kit to get as in the Octavia forums its been mentioned that the canbus kits can cause problems & its best to get the non-canbus kits & change some codes with VCDS

Would the non-canbus kit be ok for my Fabia as I dont have the bulb error function on the dash

I fitted them to my Monte Carlo and I’ve fitted them to several other cars as well.  The last 8 sets I’ve fitted have all come from the same place and they’re faultless, stay well clear of EBay.

My advice is buy the Hids4U ones, they come with an adapter for the bulb holder.  I recommend the higher power ones in natural daylight.  You will need to take the bolts out of the fuel filter to fit the drivers side one.  

Order a cree bulb for your reverse light and your DRLs as well, staggering difference.  You can also get LED side lights as well so everything is crisp white.

no VCDS messing about.  Will take you an hour.

Edited by globalste
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2017 at 02:52, globalste said:

I fitted them to my Monte Carlo and I’ve fitted them to several other cars as well.  The last 8 sets I’ve fitted have all come from the same place and they’re faultless, stay well clear of EBay.

My advice is buy the Hids4U ones, they come with an adapter for the bulb holder.  I recommend the higher power ones in natural daylight.  You will need to take the bolts out of the fuel filter to fit the drivers side one.  

Order a cree bulb for your reverse light and your DRLs as well, staggering difference.  You can also get LED side lights as well so everything is crisp white.

no VCDS messing about.  Will take you an hour.

I am planning on doing this and luckily the place you recommended is in my uni town so will pop buy and see if they have any 35w H7 in stock!! 

Go for the 55W stealth ones, the light off them is brilliant.  I will try and post some photos of them fitted.

Choose these for your side lights https://www.hids4u.co.uk/501-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-W5W-Canbus-Wedge-Bulbs.html

And if you have DRLs like candles or want a decent reverse light choose this https://www.hids4u.co.uk/382-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-P21W-Canbus-Bayonet-Bulb.html

I can recommend one of these auto light modules as well, the switch lights aren't Skoda green but for £39 who cares!  https://www.veedubtransporters.co.uk/shop/vw-transporter-t5t5-1-auto-headlamp-switch-module-upgrade-fitting-kit/  

Edited by globalste

56 minutes ago, globalste said:

Go for the 55W stealth ones, the light off them is brilliant.  I will try and post some photos of them fitted.

Choose these for your side lights https://www.hids4u.co.uk/501-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-W5W-Canbus-Wedge-Bulbs.html

And if you have DRLs like candles or want a decent reverse light choose this https://www.hids4u.co.uk/382-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-P21W-Canbus-Bayonet-Bulb.html

I can recommend one of these auto light modules as well, the switch lights aren't Skoda green but for £39 who cares!  https://www.veedubtransporters.co.uk/shop/vw-transporter-t5t5-1-auto-headlamp-switch-module-upgrade-fitting-kit/  

Already got auto headlights, started a thread about them on here! Also got LED DRL and I did have LED sidelights but canbus didnt like them. I want to get 35w as I had 55w and got flashed alot for them being too bright so dont want something OTT and aftermarket looking!

Ah ok understand now.  The Twenty20 cree ones will work fine for your side lights with no canbus errors.  The cree DRLs are insanely bright, almost like having your headlights on!

Check that the adapter for the H7s is in the box when you pick them up from their shop, mine was missing from the last batch.

I will have a look for your autolights thread.

1 hour ago, globalste said:

Ah ok understand now.  The Twenty20 cree ones will work fine for your side lights with no canbus errors.  The cree DRLs are insanely bright, almost like having your headlights on!

Check that the adapter for the H7s is in the box when you pick them up from their shop, mine was missing from the last batch.

I will have a look for your autolights thread.

Yeah the DRL are insanely bright, never thought they would be as powerful as they are!! I shall have a look at those sidelights as I do prefer the LED look!

I shall make sure they have the adaptor in the box! ty for the tip. 

If you can remember the sequence to turn on your homelights could you write down what you did?  I tried it a few times and gave up/blew fuses like others have, although I've just read that some replaced the 5A with a 7.5A fuse so I could try that (when I get the car back).

Dropped Ed a line about fitting some MFSW switches onto the steering wheel, that trip button drives me around the bend!

15 minutes ago, globalste said:

If you can remember the sequence to turn on your homelights could you write down what you did?  I tried it a few times and gave up/blew fuses like others have, although I've just read that some replaced the 5A with a 7.5A fuse so I could try that (when I get the car back).

Dropped Ed a line about fitting some MFSW switches onto the steering wheel, that trip button drives me around the bend!

You need to upgrade the headlight fuse from a 15amp to 20amp as you have HID installed, the ballast are whats blowing the fuse. 59de3ba8d4163_Autoheadlightsmaunal2.thumb.jpeg.903571301aae1d07bf164e53fc982782.jpeg59de3b9f9402e_Autoheadlightsmanual.thumb.jpeg.27d081a59890a8cac5732fc6de090b04.jpeg

I know this is the wrong thread but I guess this is topical as its about HID ;) 

Edited by JGrindel

thanks for that!  My instructions were even more badly written and didn't mention anything about changing fuses

So do you do the home function with the key in ignition at position 1, or keys out?

4 hours ago, globalste said:

thanks for that!  My instructions were even more badly written and didn't mention anything about changing fuses

So do you do the home function with the key in ignition at position 1, or keys out?

Car off I believe! It was so long ago since I did it. Try it with keys out (night time) get out the car lock it and see what happens. If nothing try with ignition on.

But I think it means have the car off, as in the instructions it says 'in off state'

Edited by JGrindel

Fitted the London colour kit this afternoon. One thing Im wondering about is that the HID bulbs had a base with a tooth like tab just like the H7's that were removed. They can only be fitted one way into the headlight unit. (tab at the bottom & the wire on the HID bulb is at the top

Also the HID bulbs will only  fit the one way into the standard silver headlight clips (theres a small tab that rests against the tab on the bulb) so when Ive installed them into the headlights the return wire on the bulb is at the top

I havent noticed any undue shadows on the road on the brief drive home this evening but the other guides state that the return wire needs to be at the bottom

How do I go about this? Was thinking the easiest way is to perhaps cut or bend back the small tab on the silver headlight clip??

Sorry should have been clearer - I purchased the HID kit from a company called AE trading/ London colour

Yes the glass is at the bottom & driving this morning I couldnt really see a shadow so Ill leave it be

Ive got another issue now as my drivers side wiper has stopped working as the linkage has popped off so Ill try to fix that as a priority! Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 16:38, JGrindel said:

You need to upgrade the headlight fuse from a 15amp to 20amp as you have HID installed, the ballast are whats blowing the fuse. 59de3ba8d4163_Autoheadlightsmaunal2.thumb.jpeg.903571301aae1d07bf164e53fc982782.jpeg59de3b9f9402e_Autoheadlightsmanual.thumb.jpeg.27d081a59890a8cac5732fc6de090b04.jpeg

I know this is the wrong thread but I guess this is topical as its about HID ;) 

Well I upgraded both the side light fuses to 20A (57/58)and the ignition lock 5A fuse to 7.5A (35).

i just tried to setup the home function but every time I try from key position 1 or key removed I get nothing at all (no beeps etc).  if I turn the key to pos 2 and the lights come on then quickly turn the key from to pos1 and cycle auto-0-auto-0-auto then it bleeps twice and blows fuse 35.

totally dumbfounded by it :-/

Edited by globalste

35 minutes ago, globalste said:

Well I upgraded both the side light fuses to 20A (57/58)and the ignition lock 5A fuse to 7.5A (35).

i just tried to setup the home function but every time I try from key position 1 or key removed I get nothing at all (no beeps etc).  if I turn the key to pos 2 and the lights come on then quickly turn the key from to pos1 and cycle auto-0-auto-0-auto then it bleeps twice and blows fuse 35.

totally dumbfounded by it :-/

Could just be a faulty unit... the quality control for these Chinese boxes are not exactly what we would call satisfactory. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I sent the unit back to VeeDubs and they tried it on their VW Transporter and everything worked fine, coming home lights etc and no fuses blew. 

So I'm stumped, for some reason mine will not run the autolight box  :-/

Which fuse did you change to 20A, was it the 5A one for the steering lock?  I upped it to 7.5A but it still blows and coming home lights don't function.  Weird.

Edited by globalste