Water Ingress

KTP

lately my drivers side footwells have been getting flooded.

36852521883_3ed9128af0_c.jpgfloor by ktp_2002, on Flickr

i done a search and most people seem to have issues with the passenger side so seems a trickier thing to find the cause.

i've removed the scuttle panel and cleared a lot of crap from near the drain point on the drivers side.

i poured water in around the sunroof and the drains work although maybe not the quickest of draining. i dont know how best to clean them out to see if thats the fault, i have noticed the roof liner is very wet just at the top of the A pilar interior trim, nowhere else seems to be wet so i'm thinking it must be getting in through the sunroof somehow, passenger side is completely dry but the drivers side is getting flooded. any tips etc?

Mine was doing this and soaking the carpet under both driver's seat and the passenger footwell behind, although the nearside was fine.

There are drain tube exits at the front inside the door and down the back, via the boot. The latter requires you to pull the upholstered liner back to access the tubes. If you have a CD changer, it's an absolute bitch, so try and have someone with small hands to assist!

Best thing I've found is simply blowing all the tubes out with a compressor and air duster, really. Blow from drain point back upwards toward the sunroof.

Sorting the damp - Give it a few good going-overs with a proper carpet cleaner, using the hose attachment.
Get it as dry as you can (it will take a good hour or two), then pack the footwell with blue-roll, kitchen towel or those absorbent anti-condensation sandbag things (they're like gigantic foot-long silica gell sachets) from Halfrauds and leave it to dry.

thanks, it happened 2 months ago and i put towels down until it dried up, thought the measured i'd taken had helped but evidently not. will have another go at the drain pipes and see if i can do anything further.
i park facing downhill so it must be the front exits, might just try reversing in for the time being

Edited by KTP

The door seals are known to leak as well, made from foam rather than rubber they degrade over time and let water in along the sill. If you get a watering can and a bottle of bright food colouring, you can pour it over the screen/roof/door seals, makes it easier to trace the leak. Or if you can get your hands on some UV reactive dye, use that.

Take a look at this:

Not sure if it could be a cause of damp carpets but I cleared mine out as a preventative measure and (touch wood) haven't had damp carpets. It's worth clearing the rear ones out too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vrsTom said:

Take a look at this:

Not sure if it could be a cause of damp carpets but I cleared mine out as a preventative measure and (touch wood) haven't had damp carpets. It's worth clearing the rear ones out too.

Checked the fronts a few months ago after spotting the thread you linked and mine had twice the amount of that in the OP.  The amount of build up in there is crazy.