DAS 6 Pro Repair

Zenbasses

Hiya all I have a DAS 6 Pro that when I last used started to cut out on me.

I've found the route cause which is the connection where the power lead feeds into the body has come loose as if you twiddle it a bit it all comes back to life.

Seems like an easy fix...

However..

Can anyone advise if I have to take care when pulling it apart..I don't want to be in the situation where I take off the chassis and 500 springs 'springprong' all over the place :D

Quick google reveals lots of articles that mention the same issue with lots of good advice but I thought I'd check with the best before committing

Many Thanks

Edited by Zenbasses

I did a repair on my das 6 pro cable earlier this year, it is pretty straight forward.

From memory, I think it was 1 screw to remove on the cover for the cord, be careful when you take off the housing that you don't catch and damage the speed switch, also when refitting the cover.

The cord has probably not come loose, but has more likely broken inside in the first four inches as it connects to the polisher. I cut 6 inches from my cord and refitted it to permanently sort the problem.

If you are concerned about where the cables run and getting them right when refitting, just take a quick picture on a mobile phone with the cable cover removed before you remove the cable and you are good to go.

It took me about 10 minutes of which 5 minutes of that was trying to find my wire strippers. :D

Not a difficult job, good luck.

Edited by kentphil1

16 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

I did a repair on my das 6 pro cable earlier this year, it is pretty straight forward.

From memory, I think it was 1 screw to remove on the cover for the cord, be careful when you take off the housing that you don't catch and damage the speed switch, also when refitting the cover.

The cord has probably not come loose, but has more likely broken inside in the first four inches as it connects to the polisher. I cut 6 inches from my cord and refitted it to permanently sort the problem.

If you are concerned about where the cables run and getting them right when refitting, just take a quick picture on a mobile phone with the cable cover removed before you remove the cable and you are good to go.

It took me about 10 minutes of which 5 minutes of that was trying to find my wire strippers. :D

Not a difficult job, good luck.

Thanks so much 

I have endeavoured on many Diy tasks in the past which when starting out  as resulted in springs and bits of hardware just popping out and then ur left figuring out how/ where it all goes back together.. 

Caution to wind I'll get the screwdrivers out this weekend and yes find my clippers lol

Edited by Zenbasses

I've just looked back over some pictures I took at the time of doing mine, and you may need 2 red crimp on forked spade terminals if your cable has broken rather than come loose.

These are easily sourced at Maplins or Halfords, so no big issue, I keep a stock of these anyway, but just a heads up before the weekend for you. :)

Edited by kentphil1

On 11/10/2017 at 04:31, kentphil1 said:

I've just looked back over some pictures I took at the time of doing mine, and you may need 2 red crimp on forked spade terminals if your cable has broken rather than come loose.

These are easily sourced at Maplins or Halfords, so no big issue, I keep a stock of these anyway, but just a heads up before the weekend for you. :)

Amazing thank you 

Just to be sure? 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/insulated-crimp-red-female-push-on-pack-of-100/69179?tc=BB3&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAjwpfzOBRA5EiwAU0ccN0Itwuyhxz9HTbFeYcPGjNgpylKQKNXzezCIPnz24TNrvf4QrpwdJBoCDrMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COul0NS769YCFdC1UQodDmUNpw

• 4 weeks later...

Its fixed and working like a dream :)

Broken wire,  cut 10cm off the cord and used new spade connectors to put it all back together again,

I have also cut the plug off and installed a 2 pin cable joiner with an earth connection (lawn mower type thing) to give me cable length plus the weight of the connector keeps the cable on my shoulder better.

Happy days....

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Apologies for the thread necro, my das6 pro also started cutting out and information in this thread allowed me to fix it.  Thank you both if you are still around