Just changed Lambda sensor as had error p2196 08598 and CEL on

Engine light came on recently and scan showed P2196  08598.

Relates to first Lambda sensor in the engine bay at the manifold.

Bought the correct sensor off eBay for £69 (Bosch) and changed earlier today. I had to buy a lambda sensor removal socket which was £6, also off eBay. There were some second hand sensors on eBay ranging from £25-45, with new only £69 I opted for this.

Pretty straight forward. Hardest part wash undoing the electrical connector from the old sensor and threading the new one through the back of the engine bay in the clips.

The old sensor was a little stubborn coming out but nothing too hard. Came out fairly quickly with nice firm controlled use of a 3/8" ratchet and short extension bar to give a bit more clearance.

Took a few pics that could help somebody down the line. I'm no mechanic but always willing to have a go myself. If it helps somebody else save time and money I will be happy.

The socket enables you to get it over the lambda sensor with the wire connectors attached. Simply un clip the heat sheild from around the wires near the sensor and you are ready to remove the sensor.

My my car is a 58 170 elegance with 167k on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Didn't check resistances.

life of sensor is 250000km which is pretty bang on for 167k miles so decided to change it.

i think the soot is because of it running rich due to sensor failure??

who knows? A new sensor can't do any bad.

I'm one of those people of the opinion that O2 sensors should be a service item, they are so critical and have a distinctive finite life.

The reason I asked is that I'm always curious about O2 sensor failures, next to EVAP I find them offering the most varied type of failures.

The reason I think heater is because, if the sensor was reporting rich, it would lean out the fuel trim. With the stored fault code the computer probably avoided going into closed loop and for some reason its default map ran the engine a little rich. I could very well be wrong (always thought the default was towards lean), but it doesn't matter anyway, I'm just letting my thoughts run away.

Anyway, a new sensor certainly won't do any harm and I hope your issue is fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are two sensors. One pre cat (the one I changed, sensor 1 bank 1) then one post cat accessed from under the car.

i thought about cleaning but decided to buy a new one as only £69. These sensors are very sensitive and I'm not sure cleaning a sensor that has become faulty or reached the end of its life is beneficial. I'm not sure how old your sensor is etc..

my engine light went off after about 50 miles of driving and approx 3 start ups. It has stayed off for about 1500miles now, fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, gianthotdog said:

There are two sensors. One pre cat (the one I changed, sensor 1 bank 1) then one post cat accessed from under the car.

i thought about cleaning but decided to buy a new one as only £69. These sensors are very sensitive and I'm not sure cleaning a sensor that has become faulty or reached the end of its life is beneficial. I'm not sure how old your sensor is etc..

my engine light went off after about 50 miles of driving and approx 3 start ups. It has stayed off for about 1500miles now, fingers crossed.

Thanks mine is saying sensor 1 bank 1 so I'll try that one first. Thanks for the pics too they was very helpful.

Edited by Rubydoo

• 7 months later...

@gianthotdog, hi! I've got the same error code on my common rail 2.0 TDI. What engine was yours? Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've bought the sensor but not yet fitted it. I don't want to waste money fitting a £70 sensor if it's something else trivial that's causing the bad lambda reading. 

Thanks!

My engine is 2.0tdi common rail code CBBB.

i fitted the sensor as you can see in the post and it fixed my car.

ive done 8k miles since I changed the sensor and it has been fine.

if you have already bought it then just fit it.

The error codes don't lie.