Superb II 16" advice

Ennine

Although I was determined not to start spending large amounts on the new car I am seriously looking at replacing the 18" alloys down to 16" to improve ride. I'm considering Calibra Vintage 16" that are stated as having a 35 offset and supplied with spigot rings. Thanks to Chimaera who was kind enough to post up the specs for my car, they should be a ET 45. Is there a down side to fitting the 35s with spigot rings. Any comments regarding this issue, the wheels or other suggestions would be most welcome.

Nige

Edited by Ennine

• 2 weeks later...

Ennie - I couldn't advise specifically on the Superb but from experience of having everything from steelies to 20's on VAG group cars you might want to try different tyres first to improve the ride.  Dropping from 18 to 16 on such a large car might not give you a look you want (maybe you do just a thought) and potholes are still potholes!

Edited by Xiled50

3 minutes ago, Xiled50 said:

Ennie - I couldn't advise specifically on the Superb but from experience of having everything from steelies to 20's on VAG group cars you might want to try different tyres first to improve the ride.  Dropping from 18 to 16 on such a large car might not give you a look you want (maybe you do just a thought) and potholes are still potholes!

Thank you and yes, your comment has merit. Since making this post I have decided to stick with the 18s for now. My original reason for considering the change was in main due to my wife who suffers with major back issues. Although she rarely travels in the car I thought the harder ride would be more difficult for her but in fact the opposite is true and after a trip out, some discussion and a  little logical reasoning it made sense. My Rover was a very soft floaty ride and ate potholes very well, however this did mean a fair amount of bounce. Although the Superb has a harder ride the bounce is less, so the shock is over quickly with no recoil/double whammy from the bounce effect. I hope that makes sense. When it comes to renew the 18 tyres  I'll have a chat with my expert tyre guy but for now I'll stick with what I have and save myself a fair amount of money as well.

Nige