timing chain tensioner fault

Having just had my mk1 vrs 1.8 PETROL suffer from similar fate I was considering purchasing Mk2 tfsi vrs 2006-2007 but am seeing this problem a lot on this forum.

I have read about an updated timing chain kit being available and was wondering if this sorts it and if anyone knows the name or part identification details.

thanks

2006-2007 TFSI is an EA113 engine. The main timing mechanism is a belt and not too much of a problem with specified changes. There is however a secondary chain and tensioner linking the two cam shafts at the other end of the engine. It is not uncommon for this to become noisey and require replacement, not heard of many failures but I suppose possible.

The tensioner I think you are referring to is the EA888 2.O CCZA engine chain driven timing set up. This was fitted to facelift Oct Mk2 onwards.  The tensioner is prone to failure and replacing the the current revision is advised.

Each engine has some issues to be aware of. Lots of posts around. Possibly the EA888 has high frequency of terminal problems due to the tensioner / piston rings issues on EA888.

But...Oil usage can be a problem on EA113 as well...

Edited by TheClient

Thank you for the sound advise.

Car mechanics and engines tech are not my field of expertise but however having purchased only 6-7 months ago a Mk1 octavia VRS 1.8 2003 in which developed problems engine electronic errors (Temp Mapping - Cam shaft air intake -) along with oil pressure/flow/level/pick up oil contaminated carbon flecks intermittent slight rattle at idle and low speed developing into more noticeable constant rattle on engine...............SEE MY PREVIOUS TOPIC FOR DETAILS...

Basically 4 weeks ago after engine inspection advise was engine needs to be replaced rattle is cam chain secondary knocking about?????

Looked into used engine option but risky and with fitting costs and all other parts such as turbo may also have suffered from oil problem oh MOT expired hmmm timing belts too much.

I have gained some engine know how and seemed to have diagnosed from research the problem but too late perhaps.......

BAD OIL FLOW PICK UP PRESSURE CAUSING DAMAGE CAM SHAFT AND TOP ENGINE RESULTING FROM OIL CONTAMINANT ENGINE WEAR  RATTLE CRANK SHAFT DESIGN FAULT CAM SHAFT ASSEMBLY ?????? lots of this on Mk1 forum relating to error codes displayed in my previous topic.

So with the mk2  EA113 engine you mentioned timing belts with link chain tensioner and some issues with oil usage is the set up same as the MK1 engine AUQ because this is what concerns me as I am thinking to get Mk2 2006 Tfsi but having had the Mk 1 problem its a big worry.

Thanks again for the help 

I don't know enough about the 1.8T 20V to contrast and comment I'm afraid. I think it may have still been an early version of the EA113 engines.

Even if it isn't there will be some similarity, components, design overlaps!  To be honest, you have to watch out for blocked oil pickups on a lot of VAG engines. Seems to affect quite a few variants.  Poor oil change / service history makes the problem worse. If you don't catch it, you end up with engine damage esp the top end first.

The Oct Mk2 TFSI can certianly suffer from the pickup issue. You could inspect / change preventatively but it is also a question if you get one with damage already..