1.9tdi Turbo sometimes not working

Hi all,

this is my first post. I am a proud owner of a 2002 Octavia 1.9tdi L&K.

I noticed that occationally the turbo does not work. Yesterday I drove it and the turbo did not kick in. Then I switched it off for 20 seconds, turned it on and the turbo worked.

I called the mechaniic and he told me that there is a sensor under the windshield and that sometimes the Ecu does not read it and does not let the turbo work.

can someone help me out with more information on how can this be solved. I do work on motorbikes but do not have the experiance on diesels and ECUs

thanks

Henry from Malta

@Henry1974 - Well, the only "sensor under the windscreen" I know of is a sunlight sensor for the climate control. Clearly that has nothing to do with the engine management.

Which engine do you have, the 110 or the 130? Also, is it showing the Engine Management Light when the turbo isn't working?

Does the MFD come up with something like:

EMISSIONS

WORKSHOP!

There will be several enthusiastic threads on here about cleaning the turbo out with Mr Muscle oven cleaner - No guarantee of fixing it, but is the cheapest step and the best place to make a start... and if it does work, your turbo will then be awesome!!

Get someone with access to vcds (diagnostic software) and scan for codes. If you get an "over boost detected", it will possible be sticking vanes in the turbo. The Mr Muscle link in the previous post is the cheapest way, but not guaranteed. Failing that it will be a complete strip down and clean of the turbo or replacement turbo.