OBD Reading

Jackf

9 minutes ago, LightRain said:

What do you want to do with it? Just read and clear OBD2 codes or read and clear VAG specific codes? Do you also want additional functionality like service reset, live data, bi-directional control and so on?

Cheers for the response. 

Just the basics, so reading and clearing OBD2 codes. Having said that, reading VAG specific codes might be handy.  Live data would be a nice to have.

Well, if it is just for reading and clearing OBD2 codes then a cheap one from the local Halfords or whatever will work.

If you want more features than the basics, then Autel make decent scanners at an OK price. I've never known anyone have a problem with them and I've had one of them before moving on to more advanced equipment.

Autel also make manufacturer specific models, but their VAG unit is pretty poor for the cost and if you were willing to spend what it costs then you'd be better off getting an OBDeleven or an XTool VAG401 or something like that. OBDeleven seems to be quite popular and I think it is already pretty powerful, although I have never used it. There's a couple of threads about it here which I'd suggest looking into if VAG specific stuff is interesting to you. Oh and of course Ross-Tech's VCDS if you want something that can do almost everything professional VAG equipment can do, there's a lot of threads about that.

Personally I have an Autel VAG505 that is kept in the car and VCDS lite. I had an Autel AL319 (I think) and it worked well.

• 2 months later...

I too am looking for a basic one to just read and clear codes. I found this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946
but not sure if it will read the airbag, transmission, ABS, and other module codes. Does anyone have any experience of using this or any suggested alternatives? I'm trying to avoid getting a super fancy one since I just want to be better informed about the possible cause of a problem.

Thanks

OBD II requirements only cover the engine ECU, but some basic code readers can scan other modules too - so you'll need to ask the supplier/manufacturer (but the functions listed on Amazon for this one only list engine ECU data...).

• Thanks 1