Android unit fittings Octavia 3

Just pulled the trigger on an android unit with a 'standard' 4 hole fitting. Come to fit it this morning to find no bolt holes as the Amundsen that's due to come out is fitted with little clips (had to get the tools from Amazon). That's the first problem, next issue is the cables that need to go into the unit are in the glove box as they were fitted to the cd unit. Lastly the new unit has lugs to fit into the centre console. The guides in the console are nearer the bottom of the hole where the android unit has them at the top. Can attach photos if needed.

So, does anyone have a simple guide for fitting one of these to a 2014 Octavia. Or an alternate option like a Columbus unit as happy to have android auto too. Just want rid of the Amundsen unit.

Cheers.

So I've found a great video detailing the cable transfer in a golf. Should be the same as the Octavia 3.

If I get time this afternoon I might take another look. If the new fascia I have clips in strong enough it should hold the new unit in place as the slot in the console has support for it.

So in the interest of talking to myself, I tried again this afternoon and confirmed that the fascia should be man enough to hold the unit in place. The cables on the other hand don't appear to be long enough to reach the centre console. I had a go at pulling one through but it only reached half way. The bundle was still somewhat attached to the bulkhead but still, they seem too short.

It's a vw5015 from audio tech I think. Ordered an extension from eBay. Should be here mid week so will try again. Spoke to a mate who is a dab hand at wiring stuff up and he said he could help me make it longer. Would take a good couple of hours though and a better(easier) solution would be to get another extension and double up.

Either way I'll keep updating this thread and might even do a quick photo instructable in the op.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who care:

Got an extension cable to relocate the multiplug into the centre console. Turns out to not long enough still. So, I have ordered some wire, heat shrink tubing and solder. I'll be making it about another 2ft longer to allow for length to move the unit around.

Also noticed that the guide lugs are removable so should make sliding in easier (ooer).

I'll try to remember to take photos as I go for the final install to help others who want to do the same.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, this has been a while getting sorted. The unit I bought was wrong in that it was for a mk2 octy. I still have it in case anyone wants it but with my Amundsen getting slower I've thought about replacements again. I have see the below option on AliExpress and being a 2 part design would make it a lot easier to locate all the required cables and also gain back the ability to play discs. With an external screen you should be able to watch a movie while still using nav or something on the main screen.

Has anyone any experience with this type of unit?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bOK8PVJK

What's so bad about the Amundsen unit, is it just speed?

Given the headunit is much more integrated into the car than older models, I'm not sure you'd be able to access all the settings with the Android version. There's certainly nothing obvious on the listing you posted suggesting it can.

A better option, at least in my opinion, would be to fit a different OEM headunit that suits your needs - even more so as MIB1 to MIB2 conversions seem well understood and popular now.

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

What's so bad about the Amundsen unit, is it just speed?

Given the headunit is much more integrated into the car than older models, I'm not sure you'd be able to access all the settings with the Android version. There's certainly nothing obvious on the listing you posted suggesting it can.

A better option, at least in my opinion, would be to fit a different OEM headunit that suits your needs - even more so as MIB1 to MIB2 conversions seem well understood and popular now.

You are right about the integration of that unit. Don't know how I missed that. Probably just assumed as it's there on most other android units.

The problems I have with the Amundsen are:

Screen size is quite small.

Slow to respond.

Nav is crap compared to Google etc.

No android auto (see point above).

I realise that most of my issues are quite personal and others would happily live with them but I wish to change.  Another option is the alpine x901d. It's the first gen one but on eBay for 799 at the moment. And I am able to do the work myself.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202514885332

The Alpine looks a much better option although it still doesn't seem to support Android Auto or Carplay.

For £799, you can probably install one of the MIB2 units and enable smartlink with Android Auto/Carplay. It's also trivial to find a car with an MIB2 system to make sure it's quick enough for you before buying.

Might be worth asking @SashaGrace for some advice as she knows her stuff when it comes to MIB2 upgrades :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems you have caught me on a day where I don't read anything and jump in backside first.

Looks like mib2 is the only logical option that is easy to fit. As it's OEM (ish) I can sell the original kits for pennies back. Thanks @langers2k.

As above, tbh the MIB2 retrofit is much easier than it is made out to be by some. Certainly, with 100,000 plus views on my thread and 2 radio upgrades behind me I am still getting at least 2 people a week contact me about radios and it's very simple to do. The Android ones are tempting, but they just don't work like an OEM one does. The 5Q0035874A Amundsen is a great unit for minimal £££ and with SmartLink it does everything most people want. I have the Columbus now and I appreciate the extras it has but I still think the Amundsen is worth the money.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @SashaGrace.  I got the unit and getting a cheap screen off RustyNuts.  Hopefully both here by the end of the week. 

There is small damage to the screen surround but looking at how hard wrapping is to cover it up.  Does anyone know if the knobs can be popped off?  And/or the gloss black section removed.

Just need to get the unit to Pab and we are in business.  Parts are currently about £200 +CP removal +coding.  Sasha can you remember how much you paid for CP removal?  Got my local dealer looking into it.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:59, MarkyG82 said:

There is small damage to the screen surround but looking at how hard wrapping is to cover it up.  Does anyone know if the knobs can be popped off?  And/or the gloss black section removed.

Anyone?