Yeti EGR

Barnabasz1a

Hi , I recently bought a 2011 2L TDI 140 , no sooner had I picked it up , it went into limp mode which turned out to be the end valve , it was replaced under warranty, 300 ish miles later , the same thing happened so it was changed again , three weeks later it did the same thing , so they told me the best thing to do was by pass it and apparently did this , iv done a lot of miles since with no both , but when pulling up and opening the doors , there is a strong smell of omissions , there is no visible omissions while driving . My question is , is bypassing the egr a done thing and if so , why the smell . The warranty is no over although I have bought an extended warranty , thanks in advance for any help

Sounds to me as if you just happened to stop when the car was in the middle of an exhaust regeneration cycle.  If this happens a "hot" smell will be apparent,  and is completely normal.  Bypassing/disconnecting the EGR valve does not stop the car carrying out periodic regens.

If, however,  you have the smell every time you stop the car,  you need to investigate further.

(Other symptoms of a regen in progress is a higher tickover speed.  Regens normally happen when travelling at speed,  so the higher tickover,  and the smell of combusting carbon deposits is not then apparent.)

Thanks for your reply , I'm afraid to report that I smell it every time I get home , in fact, I have even wondered if the exhaust is leaking and will take a look although I would have thought I would hear it blowing ?

56 minutes ago, Urrell said:

By-passing the EGR is illegal, was it a main dealer that did that?
There is something wrong if it failed 3 times as soon as that.

Not heard that one before.

The Type Approval for the car includes all the emission control equipment fitted as standard. Technically, if a car is modified out of this, then it no longer meets Type Approval.

Have a look in the Pinned Thread in General Car Chat, 'Rip Off Britain & The Fix',   With the 24 month peace of mind warranty people are getting new EGR's as there are failures Post The Fix.

If anyone has a faulty non fixed Euro 5 TDI they might as well have them do it, and chase Skoda / VW Group for you past expenses from the issues that they know why exist.

Doh, sorry EGR already removed, so not going to be getting done or covered by Skoda / VW.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

9 hours ago, Barnabasz1a said:

Thanks again for your reply , do you have any idea why it would have failed and how to fix it , long shot I know?

EGR valves fail because it is a crap piece of design which clogs up with all the diesel soot, especially on cars which are used for short urban journeys and never get up to high temperatures and high revs. These type of cars are often fuelled with supermarket diesel and there is a train of thought that that doesn't help either, but that's a whole different can of worms. It's just like a chimney. The soot clings to the side and sticks. More soot then sticks to that soot and on it goes until it's gummed up solid. At high temperatures and speed the soot doesn't get time to cling and whistles out the system.

It won't have failed twice, the dealer will have attempted to clean it and give it back to you with the same one. EGR bypass is a very common mod - type "EGR delete" into eBay and 15,000 hits come up. As long as you have no warning light on the dashboard and your exhaust pipe emissions are within limits you will pass the MOT. When you swap your car next time, buy a petrol unless you are doing 20,000 + motorway miles a year.

Sounds to me like the result of the SKODA fix/fail which is well published but still vag are in denial so the car is completely  Fooked,you will find many VAG owners have had the EGR replaced 2 or 3 times after the fix as a goodwill gesture but the car will only fail again at some stage.

Edited by Sad555