Issue with Speedometer and Rev Counter not working...

Hi all,

Raising this for a friend -

Like me he has a:

Fabia Mk3 SE L 1.2 TSI 110 6 speed manual 2016

Last Tuesday on way home both the Speedo and Rev counter stopped working correctly. The needles dropped to 0 even though the car was running fine. Strangely he was on the phone to me at the time. Luckily could still see the speed using the digital display and also when to change gear.

They still lit up when the lights were on. And both the oil and fuel gauges were working fine.

He called Skoda and booked it in for today.

Annoyingly on Friday the rev counter started working again and then on Sunday the speedo as well. Unfortunately he didn't take any images or videos of the issue.

He still took it into Skoda today and they have looked into it and found no fault. Obviously he has concerns of it happening again since it happened without warning.

Has anyone seen this before?

Kieron

Not exactly, but I’ve experienced the radio just not being there and some other quirks. Works again after having the engine turned off.

It’s all in the electronics.... :blink:

Haha that would be a problem, because you might end up stuck in 1st gear, since you wouldnt know when to shift. ;)

Jokes aside, sounds like a dash instrument glitch. If any of the actual sensors would fail, that would put up an instant warning light.

Especially if the crank sensor (G28) for the rev counter would fail, that would take away the engine power, limit revs to 3000rpm and put up the CEL. The rev would counter would still work tho, since it would run on the backup signal from the hall sender G40 on the intake camshaft. But the engine would be in limp mode.

Edited by Recretos

14 hours ago, Damo said:

Speedo I can understand... but when to change gear!!!

I was referring to the corner of the Digital Display that tells you your current gear and suggests when to move up or down. Least it meant that the computer is reading the speed and revs to display and suggest gears.

8 hours ago, Recretos said:

Haha that would be a problem, because you might end up stuck in 1st gear, since you wouldnt know when to shift. ;)

Jokes aside, sounds like a dash instrument glitch. If any of the actual sensors would fail, that would put up an instant warning light.

Especially if the crank sensor (G28) for the rev counter would fail, that would take away the engine power, limit revs to 3000rpm and put up the CEL. The rev would counter would still work tho, since it would run on the backup signal from the hall sender G40 on the intake camshaft. But the engine would be in limp mode.

Sounds that way, since the Digital Display could get readings. Definitely didn't get any warning lights or reduction in engine power, just a shame it had cleared before could get into Skoda for them to have a look:wondering:

3 hours ago, KyronStorm said:

I was referring to the corner of the Digital Display that tells you your current gear and suggests when to move up or down. 

Sorry, should have put a laughing emoji after my post... I did know what you meant 

• Haha 1